roundhouse brand japanese electric locos?

kmcsjr

I noticed really neat old stock Japanese electric locos at a hobby shop in Connecticut USA/ The brand was Roundhouse and most of the writing was Japanese. They were a little expensive. Anyone know about the brand?

It is KATO, I have one or two trains that are Roundhouse and they run pretty solid. I almost bought a roundhouse Kiha 40 last year in Shinosaka, but the guy wanted way too much for it. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Martijn Meerts

Roundhouse trains are usually re-runs of older Kato trains, quite often they're slightly less detailed or lacking some features such as headlights. They do run as well as "regular" Kato though.

I noticed really neat old stock Japanese electric locos at a hobby shop in Connecticut USA/ The brand was Roundhouse and most of the writing was Japanese. They were a little expensive. Anyone know about the brand?

Which store in CT?  I've lived in CT most of my life and know most of them. 

LOL

If it's a trap, I escaped it. I've bought some really neat stuff at this shop, at what I thought were great prices. The opinions given on Roundhouse helped me decide to resist on this trip through CT. I hesitate to mention a dealer, but I will. I ask that no one chime in,if they have had a bad experience there (I wouldn't expect it, as the guy is very friendly). It's just that one bad exp can give an otherwise good shop a bad reputation and we don't need to put stress on our remaining local hobby shops.  Thanks for that consideration. the shop is Toms Trains in Weathersfield.

There's nothing wrong with Roundhouse, it is Kato after all. I have the Chichibu Railway 'Paleo Express' with C58 on reservation with HS.

angusmclean

Bought a Roundhouse EF81 about 18mths ago in Twilight Express livery so was able to ditch the old Tomix.  Loco runs like a dream, obviously with flywheels.  Seems to be identical with other Kato EF81's.

Angus

LOL

If it's a trap, I escaped it. I've bought some really neat stuff at this shop, at what I thought were great prices. The opinions given on Roundhouse helped me decide to resist on this trip through CT. I hesitate to mention a dealer, but I will. I ask that no one chime in,if they have had a bad experience there (I wouldn't expect it, as the guy is very friendly). It's just that one bad exp can give an otherwise good shop a bad reputation and we don't need to put stress on our remaining local hobby shops.  Thanks for that consideration. the shop is Toms Trains in Weathersfield.

Thank you.  I know them, more from shows than their actual store.  They are big at the Amherst Show, I think they have the booth a couple down from my NRHS chapter's every year.