Window coverings for buildings

Working on my apartment blocks today, and I'm wondering what you do for window treatments?  I don't feel like scratch building a whole bunch of rooms of tiny furniture, and want to give the ground floor people some privacy.  My thoughts were:

1) Tape on the inside of the window, or

2) paper, also on the inside.

Either would have to be coloured in some way, otherwise I would end up with a whole building with orange Tamiya tape curtains.

Am I on the right track?  Any suggestions or alternatives that I may not have though of?

Thanks!

Grant

awww come on, we want full living rooms. question is what will you use for carpeting?!

one post here used fiberglass strapping tape to create the venetian blinds.

this brings up the issue that its hard to get good protype info on this from pictures as when you take a picture from a good distance during the day the glass tends to go dark gray and window treatments disappear some. most if what i see in picts of real japanese apartments is vertical white (light) curtains or accordion blinds. just white paper would probably do fine. you could try and get fancy and see if there is some white ribbon with a little wavies in them to approximate curtains, but you will only see this like 1' away.

have seen some windows with small shoji screens, white with brown or black. could easily be printed on white paper and glued in place as well.

if you are planning on lighting the buildings you might do a test to see what your curtains look like back lit to make sure the density is right (ie does not go see thru).

cheers

jeff

awww come on, we want full living rooms. question is what will you use for carpeting?!

I was planning on hand-weaving static grass into tiny tatami mats... :grin

I was planning on hand-weaving static grass into tiny tatami mats... :grin

cool, make me some! i need a bunch for my kumamoto castle!

now you have me thinking again of how to do tatami mats. i was thinking of printing onto some tan colored card stock to give a small bit of texture and the edging.

cheers

jeff