Raicho last run- 03/11

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

485 series "Raicho" had its last run yesterday.  This is an almost unedited clip of the typical mayhem (those #*$%&! cellphones!) at these types of events.  Osaka Station platform 10/11:

This is better, taken at an earlier date:

• Like 2

Got some pictures of this train going into "out of service" mode at Shin-Osaka this afternoon and also of its successor Series 287 on its first paying passenger runs at same station - will post when I get back to the UK.

When I first visited Japan in 1990 they were everywhere and we took no notice, in general things were still pretty much JNR with JR decals slapped on. Now the remaining vestiges of the old order are rapidly disappearing.

bikkuri bahn

Yes, before the advent of the Tohoku and Joetsu Shinkansen (pre-early 80's), these types were the backbone of JNR's daytime limited express services (along with their DC only counterparts), covering the whole nation outside of the Tokaido/Sanyo corridor.  It can be said the 1067mm network of tokkyu ressha reached it's peak in the late seventies, when these units were most prevalent.

I get the feeling that, if I ever get to Japan, all the JNR-era trains will be gone. :-\

its successor Series 287

Will the service run with the 287 still be called "Raicho"?