Sawmill on the Oigawa?

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Speaking of the Oigawa Railway...was there ever a sawmill attached to the Oigawa Railway, and if yes, where was it? Also how far south did Ikawa line rolling stock roam after gauge conversion? Several of the Oigawa's earlier steamers had two sets of couplings (one above the other) which gives the impression that Ikawa line equipment was hauled on the Senzu-Kanaya section...to the sawmill?

At Shin-Kanaya station there is a siding which peels off from the main line at the Kanaya side of the station, decribes a S curve and ends in what looks like a vacant lot...what is/was this siding used for?

Cheers NB

Nick, I think there was a sawmill somewhere on line, IIRC I've seen a refernce to it somewhere, just can't think where at the moment.

As for that siding at Shin-Kanaya, it seems to be used nowadays to store withdrawn locos and/or rolling stock. Makes me wonder what it's original purpose was, though...

Cheers,

Mark.

Check out the link here at Yahoo Maps.

It actually still shows the line and if you click the satellite link (the top left button after the house and then the one that is pressed) then you can see, after zooming in, that it looks like that line does/did run to a sawmill.

Stacks of sawn timber - certainly looks like a sawmill to me! Thanks for the link Steven, much better than the Google maps images.

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

Stacks of sawn timber - certainly looks like a sawmill to me! Thanks for the link Steven, much better than the Google maps images.

Cheers,

Mark.

Guess this is it. Although these days the timber must come by road...There are even some very small wagons parked - possibly Ikawa line wagons waiting for their fate. And a pair of ballast HoKi cars.

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

There's also a mention of sawmilling in Wally Higgins "昭和30s" photo book, with a lovely pic of an open wagon loaded with sawn logs.

Cheers,

Mark.

I have the Higgins book, but it is the wrong volume for the Oigawa...guess I'll have to make an effort and order a copy... :grin

Cheers NB