Settling on a region to model -- how does this look?

scott

For a long time, I planned to focus on northern Tohoku. (I know it's not strictly necessary to pick a region, but it does help keep down the temptation to buy every interesting train.  :grin  )  But through a combination of chance (where some trains we bought actually run) and my interest in both the Japan Sea coast and the mountains, I think I've settled on Niigata and adjacent portions of Gunma and Nagano, and maybe bits of Toyama, Yamagata, and Fukushima.

And since I'm at least as much of a map geek as a train geek, it helped me a lot to have Kitayama's maps available online. I downloaded some of the maps and highlighted the lines I was thinking of modeling, or at least mimicking with the appropriate trains. I thought I'd post it here and see what people thought, and Göran has been kind enough to give permission for his maps to be used on the forum (with credit given).

On the map, the green highlighting shows the lines I'm thinking of (also listed at the top left), and the odd salmon color shows lines I'm not planning to model, but whose scenery I plan to check out for "inspiration."  The green dots show two railways -- Nagano Electric and Shinano -- that I'm also thinking about.

post-151-13569927367439_thumb.jpg

bikkuri bahn

That's a good choice of region- with a long history of railway development, near the capital region, and a convergence of distinct geographical areas.  Lots of potential for long distance run-through trains from other regions.

Thanks--that's good to hear.

Lots of potential for long distance run-through trains from other regions.

I forgot to mention it, but that is one of the attractions. We already have a Kitaguni model, and I'd like to put together a Nihonkai/Akebono set. Are there others that you were thinking of?

Hey, I don't mind a few anachronisms. For whatever reason, it bugs me to have the place wrong, but not so much the time. Besides, there are always revivals and specials and museum trains to explain things away.  :grin