JNR steam in broadcast quality: C57 pacific on a local

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCIGeBKlwM

NHK Hokkaido program from 1975.  Gentlemen (and ladies), this is not preserved steam, nor a tourist train or excursion, but truly the real thing-working steam on a Muroran-Iwamizawa local. The local is hauled by C57 135, which you can now see in stuffed condition on a turntable at the railway museum at Saitama (see also the post w/video about Hayabusa last week).

1:55- cleaning the smokebox and dropping the contents of the ashpan at Iwamizawa Depot, coaling by crane

3:34- OT 11:04 departure from Muroran, departure bell sounding (so nostalgic- I remember them well, before the arrival of melody based departure warnings)

8:18- Interior scenes of a passenger coach (oha 61 type?).  The little boy was about the same age as me at the time, maybe a tad younger...

10:18- I love this lingering vignette of a stop at a small station- back then even small places as these were fully staffed.  Note the railway worker hauling away the parcel or two brought by the train

13:40- adjusting the cutoff

13:53- D51 hauled general merchandise freight passes, including a number of flats with green JNR containers

14:17- a view on Eniwa Dake, I can see the opposite side of this mountain from the top floor of my workplace, on a fine weather day.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJNps2E1yBE&NR=1

1:35- on the pilot beam, a dd51 hauled container train passes

2:13- arrival at Tomakomai Station at 12:42. D51's and DD51's can be seen in the background

3:41- enough time for passengers to have a quick lunch of soba noodles at the platfrom tachigui soba stand

4:03- watering, and shoveling of the coal forward

4:18- departure!

4:55- after leaving Tomakomai, unto the portion of the Mururan Main Line through marshy land and dairy country- this stretch is the longest dead straight portion of railway in Japan

7:25- nice aerial views of C57 135

7:50- Yubari River bridge

8:39- nice segment of pacing the train, we can see the complete consist of the train and some nice action of no. 135

12:34- after a journey of 3 hours 29 minutes, we arrive at Iwamizawa Station at 14:33.  We can see a southbound freight on track 1, adjacent to the station headhouse (which burned down a few years back).

Great find, Bikkuri.  I'm subscribed to many youtube contributors and sifting through their new vids takes up most of the time I'm willing to spend on that site.  I should dig a little bit more.  More comments after I watch these...

BB, haven't had a chance to look at this program in full, but a quick glance suggests it's a very impressive film. Thanks heaps!

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

I've tried downloading them but blankety-blank "broadband" internet connection collepsed almost at the end...

Cheers NB