"S" for Spring

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

A couple of questions on spring switch usage in Japan... first, why dos switches use a "S" in Romaji rather than for instance, the kana for "spring" (which I would guess would be a single kanji ideogram) and second, can spring switches be deactivated (temporarily) for switching purposes? I noticed that most spring switches in Japan have a sort of "instrument case" under the "S" sign, presumably to house the equipment.

Cheers NB

I have no clue, but I'd guess that use of Romaji may date from the original days when British consultants helped the first railroads get built and many parts were imported from overseas, before domestic manufacturing capabilities caught up.

Japanese switch stands show a definite American heritage, maybe the original ones applied to spring switches were straight off the shelf from a US supplier and the 'S' just stuck, or maybe the Japanese actually call them spring switches in the same manner they have borrowed other English words, they call a television a TV after all. Our version here on Queensland Rail, 'trailable facing points', can be unlocked and thrown manually if required.

bikkuri bahn

The formal Japanese term for these switches is hatsujoutentetsuki (発条転轍器), but as that is a mouthful to say, most just call them spring points.

On the Nagano Dentetsu:

• Like 1
Nick_Burman

The formal Japanese term for these switches is hatsujoutentetsuki (発条転轍器), but as that is a mouthful to say, most just call them spring points.

On the Nagano Dentetsu:

OK, got it, "S" is better. Really a mouthfull... :grin And judging by the lever under the target, yes, it is unlockable.

Cheers NB

Yes, they can be unlocked and thrown manually. I've seen a few crews do it when shunting and so on.

Cheers,

Mark.