MicroAce KiHa 91 Norikura

keitaro

So I have got the Kiha 91 today and will post up some pics and thoughts.

So at first glance the detail is awesome. As expected from micro ace.

The train uses some form of spring rapido coupler smaller than those on kato freight cars etc but a bit dissapointing.

The couplers tend to disconnect occasionally when going up a incline of 3% which is a shame because my layout has an incline of 3% hah.

I am hoping I can change the couplers but not sure how to.

Mind you on this layout I will be only running it as a 4 car or 3 car train and it did not occur on this configuration so it seems the stress placed on the couplers from pulling the 7 cars up the hill causes it to happen.

The train itself runs quite smooth. i can tell it has not got the same motor as in the new dd51 sakura 1805 that I have as it runs absoloutely amazing.

However it runs very quiet and smoothly. I can make it start very slow and speed up to a higher spped with no jittering which is good.

however it doesn't have a very fast top speed either with all cars attached.

Which again doesn't matter becasue I only run the trains at 40 on my layout to keep it looking realistic.

post-484-1356992735706_thumb.jpg

post-484-13569927357485_thumb.jpg

post-484-13569927358012_thumb.jpg

post-484-13569927358457_thumb.jpg

post-484-13569927358799_thumb.jpg

post-484-13569927359144_thumb.jpg

post-484-13569927359532_thumb.jpg

post-484-13569927359993_thumb.jpg

You'll be better off using Tomix TN couplers, they couple shorter than the Micro Ace. No need to waste money on those, they are not worth it.

As always, Micro Ace trains come equiped with the regular rapido coupler.

Claude_Dreyfus

Conversely, I don't mind the internal Rapido couplings, especially at shows. The Sharfenbergs in particular can be really fiddly to undo and add quite a bit of time to the packing up, so I tend to leave the MA stuff running on the layout until last; taking only a few seconds to pack... :grin

Fenway Park

I used Tomix TN couplers which once you have removed the Rapidos will clip into the slots in the floor. The couplers on the powered car can be unscrewed using a jewellers screw driver.

The dummy ones on the end can be left.

Do not use the MA ones as they are poor.

Also use the buckeye TNs and not Scharfenburgs as JNR DMUs used these.

Nope. Not all. Look up for Don's (CaptainOblivious) post about for the equivalency between Tomix and Micro Ace couplers, it's around and have all the informations you need.

So I bought the tomix tn couplers and installedthem but now the train derails at every corner. The couplers make the train to close to one and other I guess I managed once to get it around a corner then bam derail in 2 place on next corner....

hmmm