Hotel Name

Guys, again I fall on bended knee and beg your assistance.  I have cobbled together a small 4 story hotel, which will (eventually, one day, if I ever get a layout going again  ???) fit into the small town on my layout.

What I need from you guys is a name for it and the Japanese text too.  The hotel is made from a couple of Greenmax kits stuck on a scracthbuilt stone effect ground floor (now the reception area), the idea being that it was an older building that has been expanded and built up to provide a small provincial hotel.

Feel free to make suggestions, it will be located in "Anysmalltown" in any prefecture in Japan

Nick_Burman

"Sakura"? I wouldn't be suprised if there were "Sakura Hotel" or "Hotel Sakura" or "Sakura Ryokan" spread throughout Japan...

Cheers NB

"Sakura"? I wouldn't be suprised if there were "Sakura Hotel" or "Hotel Sakura" or "Sakura Ryokan" spread throughout Japan...

Cheers NB

I know of three in Osaka alone.

Nick_Burman

If it were a ryokan close to the station one could call it Eki Ryokan. Unimaginative, but so are the various "Station Hotels" spread through the English-speaking (and also of some other languages - think Hôtel de La Gare...) world.

Cheers NB

bikkuri bahn

Ryokan range from big just like a hotel except in name facilities to small family run establishments.  The variations are many.  If the ryokan is in a hot springs area it may have the name of the town plus onsen added to ryokan, i.e.  Shimamatsu onsen ryokan (島松温泉旅館).  Smaller ryokans may just have the owners name added to "ryokan", or a variation thereof.  Here is a ryokan in Tokyo's Ueno district that apparently caters to a foreign clientele, the name is Sawanoya Ryokan(澤の屋旅館), Sawa being the name of the owner and ya meaning "place" or storefront in the merchant sense.

• Like 1
Nick_Burman

Ryokan range from big just like a hotel except in name facilities to small family run establishments.  The variations are many.  If the ryokan is in a hot springs area it may have the name of the town plus onsen added to ryokan, i.e.  Shimamatsu onsen ryokan (島松温泉旅館).  Smaller ryokans may just have the owners name added to "ryokan", or a variation thereof.  Here is a ryokan in Tokyo's Ueno district that apparently caters to a foreign clientele, the name is Sawanoya Ryokan(澤の屋旅館), Sawa being the name of the owner and ya meaning "place" or storefront in the merchant sense.

When I said ryokan I thought about the facilities Charles Small described in 1960's Hokkaido...a place which would send a porter to meet the overnight train from Sapporo or Hakodate at the platform at some out-of-the-way junction in the middle of winter. The ryokan porter would then collect you bags and take you to the establishment, where a hot bath, a fresh kimono, a meal and a few hour's nap would be provided before you returned to catch your onward connection...

Cheers NB

I like Sawanoya Ryokan so I'll go with that I think, will try and get some photos of the work so far

This is as far as I have got with the hotel, your comments, tips and suggestions are, as always, more than welcome

hotel4.jpg

hotel3.jpg

hotel2.jpg

hotel1-1.jpg

hotel5-Copy.jpg

The idea being that the original stone built ground floor has been expanded into a small hotel, ground floor, lift shaft and what interiors there are, have been scratch built, the 2 grey sections are greenmax kits, the railings are actually OO ladders on their sides, at the plant \ maintenance hut on the roof is a one piece resin kit

• Like 3

Ken, thats just a corridor, leading to the lift with doors either side.  One room does have a bed though  :laugh:

Bernard, will add lighting at some stage, the wiring can go up through the light shaft

Ronincat, will take one of the floors out and take another picture for you soon

Much still to be done!