End of 787 relay - will Kato drop the model or release a new version?

David

In another week the second half of the Kyushu Shinkansen should be opening, ending the 787 Relay Tsubame (I don't know the details, but it might also mean the new silver blue tinted N700-8000 will start running along side the 800 series).

With Kato's release schedule known up to June it doesn't look like a replacement 787 is on the horizon, despite the relay version being a regularly run (and so I assume popular) item.

While it would require new cab car molds to make the existing 4-car formation, the 6 car formation uses 6 of the same cars from the 7 car formation. While there are only 2 of those sets now, it looks like the 15 7-car sets are going to be converted to 6-car (by removing the same middle car) to be used on the Kamome run, replacing the 783 series. This means it would be really easy for Kato to make the new Kamome 787 - it's just a change of pad printing labels and a substitution of 6 car foam inserts.

Anyone else want to see the 787 continue on in model form?

I think the reaction of the Japanese market will determine what happens.  If the train disappears I suspect the model will become rarer.

I'd be interested to see a new version or better a new livery but I'm not sure I would buy it. I own the current Relay because I saw it every morning when I lived in Fukuoka, kind of a nostalgic purchase.

I'd rather spend my money on the new N700-8000 than on a potential new livery for the moment. :-)

What is happening with the 787s though. Are the train sets themselves being retired, repainted to different service, relocated to another line?

What is happening with the 787s though. Are the train sets themselves being retired, repainted to different service, relocated to another line?

The 15 sets that currently run the relay service will be converted from 7-car to 6-car sets (by simply removing the SaHa 787-100 middle car) and reassigned to the Kamome service, where they will displace the 783 series. I don't know if those 783 sets will in turn be used on another line or if they will be sold/scrapped.

i cant imagine the 783's being scrapped, they're not that old. Wonder if they'd find their way towards the east end of the island. those 485 used on the Red Express looked pretty long i n the tooth a few years ago.

Well, for those of you willing to gamble on the 787 increasing in value HS have plenty of stock at 15% off RRP.  Banzai Hobby have stock at 20% off RRP.  Kato is out of stock with nothing on the schedule.  I already have one as I've always thought it was a cool train.  I was lucky to pick mine up for $115 on Ebay but you can bet PlazaJapan and Ace will both start jacking up their prices.

I don't think Kato will rush to release a new 6 car model.  Too much more interesting things afoot, I think, with the E5 out.

Cheers

The_Ghan