Carl Arendt

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

I have read on another forum that I am a member of that Carl Arendt - of Micro/Small layouts fame - is seriously ill and in a hospice; the prospects are not said to be good.  :sad:

He has had to stop updating his popular website owing to his illness, and although there is a possibility of someone else eventually taking up the reins, his personable style and enthusiasm will be sorely missed. Through his site he has been a source of inspiriation to so many modellers - indeed there are a fair number of Japanese models featured on his site.

I'm sure our thoughts and prayers will be with him and his family at this difficult time...

Some further information is about mid-way down the thread in the link below.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/32523-carl-arendt-site-closing/

bikkuri bahn

Very sad news.  Carl's site is one of my favorites on the web- a nice aggregation of limited size and innovative layouts.  Really a nice counterpoint to the massive pikes that are typically showcased in N.Am focused websites.  I urge forumers to check it out sooner rather than later.

CaptOblivious

A serious loss to the model railroading community. I read his page every month, and found it always inspiring. Carl was friendly and encouraging in my few interactions with him, something our hobby always needs more of.

I ran across his site last year when researching the Inglenook switching puzzle (his page has a section on shelf-layout designs, which includes a page of Inglenook designs).  I didn't follow his site, but found my way back there a few more times, and saw his site mentioned on other boards from time to time; he had compiled a lot of very useful information, and was one of the web's model railroading luminaries.

I didn't know him, but I think his passing takes a little light out of our world, even for those of us who didn't.

Dangit! Such a great loss of a legend. I always waited eagerly for updates on his website and in the one short conversation I once had with him, he was always nice and constructive. I bet he will be missed by thousands upon thousands of people.

loved his micro layouts. always inspiring to do more with less.

he will be missed, but he has a wonderful legacy with the memories and impact he has had on so many folks out there with the hobby they love.

jeff

The passing of Carl means a tremendous loss to the worldwide model railroading community. His publications and his web-based Small Layout Scrapbook has provided a lot of inspiration for my own layout ideas over the years. I am very proud that one of these ideas made it into the last edition in February.

My sympathy goes out to Carl´s family.

Carl - rest in peace!

Very sad news. I already read in a german forum.

I'm proud that my h0 and N layout got a place on his side.

:sad:

I sad to hear this, my condolences...

He and his page were an inspiration to me.

@Tosaden:

I know both are quite nice , love them (an know them form the german sister-

board

Mudkip Orange

Considering half the site is down already (the small layout scrapbook pages all go to a 403, which is generally put there by the webhost), I took the liberty of ripping the micro layout plans part of the site. Archive.org is good for remembering text on pages, not so much for saving images.

If I happen to surf on by and the small layout scrapbook is perchange up, I'll rip that too.

• Like 2

It´ll be a shame, if all of Carl´s work were to be lost for the model railroading community. I have heard that a fellow model railroader from the UK, known to the community as Shortliner Jack, has had plans to step in, but I am not sure how mature this idea is.

Mudkip Orange

The Scrapbook is back up as of tonight and I've just completed ripping that as well. 4700 images, it's great, I get to watch Comcast throttle my bandwidth in real time.

I have heard that a fellow model railroader from the UK, known to the community as Shortliner Jack, has had plans to step in, but I am not sure how mature this idea is.

The biggest issue will be getting the name changed at the domain registrar (GoDaddy) and the host (LunarPages). Usually the only way the host will give out/reset that info is to (a) send a message to the primary email address on file or (b) use some form of identity verification, e.g. name + last four digits of credit card used to pay for it.

In either case, he'd probably have to talk to Carl's wife, since she'd likely be the only other person with access to the credit cards or email accounts. Personally, I wouldn't want to be the one to contact a grieving widow to ask her to dig around for info on her late husband's train website.