Scratchbuilding Vehicles

stevenh

To all...

I've been severly curious of late as to the best methods to attempt scratch building of vehicles... I'm currently thinking single-car EMU/DMUs and Australian models, for that matter, as Japan has already done everything they own.

I'm interested in knowing best-practise methods? Should you get sheets of plastic and bend? Score out sections and glue together? Melt/Stretch?

I was hoping that if anyone knew of any resources that they could point me in the right direction. Of course, it's the last thing I really need on my plate as I've been attempting to finish off my DCC Booster and Japanese Building Set for TTD, but hey, those unoccupied go insane :)

Thanks!

Capt'n,

Zero progress so far, I've nigh had time to scratch me' #$% either :)

I want to model this little fella:

HPC%20402%20leaves%20Queanbeyan_001.jpg?m=1272975674

See more images here (at the bottom)

But time has not been on my side... I do promise to get back to this in due course... Priority has been my DCC Booster and I'm proud to say it's currently finished and awaiting final assembly tonight (still on my floor.)

Stevenh - I how you do get the extra time to make that car, that is an interesting model! And please post your DCC booster, I know a lot of members will be interested in what you're doing! ;)

G'day Steven,

I don't think I would recommend trying to build a 400 class in brass if you're new to scratchbuilding. Working in brass requires a few specialty tools and skills you may not have yet acquired.

If you're just starting out, you might find styrene or ABS plastic a better medium to work in, you probably already have the tools and skills needed. And the raw materials are easier to source, and cost a bit less, too! I reckon the 400 would be a fairly simple build using perspex and laminated ABS for the body.

Over the years I've built a number of locos, cars and wagons in plastic. I've made my own notes, kept articles and tips, and gathered it all up in a file for future reference. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you a copy, and assist you wherever I can.

All the best,

Mark.