Another coupler thread (Tomix DD51)

keiichi77

So my new (old stock) Tomix DD51 came with rapido couplers which I would like to replace with something that is more to scale. The case didn't include any TN couplers but was wondering what my options are for a replacement. I have truck mounted rapido's. From another resent topic on Tomix DE10 replacement couplers I assume I will need the Tomix 0392 replacement couplers. Any advice or info on other options would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry I am not trying to be an ass, but..

First off I think this should be merged with your other thread. Whatever applies there applies here as well.

Secondly, unless you're getting super great deals on these, I don't see why you keep buying all this old stock. And even if you do get a great deal, I can't see how much you could possibly be saving over buying the new ones. The new DD51s from Kato and Tomix are a dime a dozen, look a world better, come with flywheels, and are CHEAP, especially in the used section on Popondetta.

CaptOblivious

Contrary to Clem's thinking, I think the new thread was perfectly appropriate. Moreover, the DE10 set the OP purchased is only available from Tomix, and frankly, Tomix DD51's are fine models. I know you're not trying to be an ass, clem, really I do.

As to the question about couplers: I don't know; I don't own one. :) Wait and see what more knowledgable have to say on the topic.

frankly, Tomix DD51's are fine models.

Yeah but this is the old mechanism... Those models are quite crude by today's standards and lack many modern amenities (most notably the absence of fly wheel drive and ability to easily switch to MT couplers). The new DD51s are widely available from both Tomix and Kato and both are a dream to run.

And both Kato and Tomix have already released updated DE10s as well so still not seeing the point of buying the old models since the new ones can be had fairly inexpensively...

Well I didn't know it was old when I bought it, it was new in the package. I only paid $40 total (including shipping) so I can't complain, if it runs like crap I will make it a dummy. I can't see it being too bad, it is still new (manufacture date was 2003 or 2004). Once I figure out how to open it up I will see what I can do with it.

I am on a small budget, so paying $65 (plus shipping) for a new Kato or Tomix DD51 right now is just out of the question, especially when I had to buy some unitrack, freight cars (Koki) and some building supplies to build a table for it. I am already over budget and I didn't even purchase half the track I need.  I  have been modeling Canadian National in HO for about 15 years so this is more of a side project so I don't plan on getting to deep into this, although if I had the space an funds I certainly would. :)

I wouldn't worry about it to be hohnest it's not like theres been quantum leaps in technology between now and 2003 :)

only diffrence i could see there being is better detail on the model and a bit quieter running :)

Anyway enjoy running it

I agree with Keitaro. There is nothing wrong with older models. I'm usually very impressed by the second hand models coming from Japan. They usually look like brand new model (I bought a bunch of those since I started japanese model railroading). And I still own trains from the 80/90s (but from European makers) and those are quite sturdy and run perfectly.

So really, old is gold. :p

Fair enough. To me, the $20-$30 is not worth the hassle of trying to fiddle or hack something that in the end, you know you won't be happy with. But then again, this is the kind of stuff some people live for. I prefer to have stuff working out of the box. I do believe in the buy once instead of twice rule - buy what you want the first time because if you don't, you'll just end up buying it in the end. And to me, the old Tomix mechanisms just don't really cut it. The new ones with flywheels just run so much better and the body mount couplers make a huge difference especially in the look department.

Keiichi what's the part # of your DD51?

Hi clem, the Tomix part number is 2203.    I just figured out how to dis-assemble it so after my railway club meeting tonight I am going to see whats inside. I would do it now but I want to take it tonight and have the members (all 9 of us) guess what it is.

I think I am going to cut the coupler boxes off the trucks and find a way to mount a MT coupler to the body. Our club which only has an HO layout has 2 N scale members so I will see what they recommend. :)

First picture is factory out of the package (note the unpainted underframe and bare metal fuel tanks)

Second picture, painted the walkways and underframe black (watched a few videos where the walkway was black or at least appeared to be). Highlighted the molded on grabs with a little white paint. Once it is weathered and a coat of dull coat applied it will look pretty sweet.

Still plan  on replacing the couplers but I will have to wait until I buy some.

The motor has some kind of spring drive, I have never seen anything like it before. If it runs like crap (waiting for my track to arrive) I will remove the motor and make it an unpowered unit. The wheel sets roll very freely when the motor is removed.

post-522-13569927269726_thumb.jpg

post-522-13569927270126_thumb.jpg

• Like 1