freight

keitaro

Ok so i have my dd51 1805 sakura model and the 6 car kato pack got 6 other cars on the list but....

My question is do you run with the 1 diesel loco or do you pair up.

I have bad experiences with placing too many cars on a train and blowing the motor. From my old ho days as a kid.

I still remember placing 12 cars in a steamer and it did a lap and blew lol.

i'm at this point considering getting a second sakura 1805 to run together it will look kewl anyway or another loco to go with it

You can run both - double header looks kewl, but you mustn't do it for a better traction in scale. At IG nippoN we run DD51 or other locos up to 20 cars without any problems. But you must use the standard cars. The in MicroACE doubleheader (most 1x motor, 1x dummy) sets the locos are lightweights. A single KATO or Tomix one will haul better.

Only when you are using heavy containers (metal, full part resine) or the special cars from MicroACE (with small wheels and boogies) in long trains you can get some trouble with long trains.  

- Kai

Claude_Dreyfus

Another consideration with long trains is drag; especially with slightly heavier wagons. For longer trains you will need to remember that the heavier wagons go to the front of the train, particularly where you have curves. Modern locomotives can haul pretty much anything you can throw at them now - 50+ wagons is no issue for most - and normally the train-length is dictated more by the length of the fiddle yard sidings than anything else now!

An unbalanced train in terms of weights will lead to frequent derailments on curves, and in extreme situations will pull the middle of the train completely off the track...

yeah I worked out 14 cars is realistic for my layout 1.4m in length for the longest straight which is where the freight shall go. i have extended the station across the bottom between those 2 tracks to have a long platform will but some decals on to make it look like the freight unloads there

sonic what do you mean by this " but you mustn't do it for a better traction in scale"

do mean don't use 2 to help pull large heavy cars?