Second Hand Japanese Rolling Stock

harukablue

while doing some reading on the rail network of the Philippines I discovered that a majority of the rolling stock used there are second hand  from Japan railways, a number of former blue train sleeping cars are being used there together with type 14 cars too,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PNR_Tayuman_2009_MC.jpg

Donated Sleeper Coach fr Japan for PNR

And also some former blue train cars in Thailand

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jinbkk/5346353456/

I was told once that Brazil has some seconf hand EF66's anyone confirm this?

No way! Given the fact that Brazil did the favor of pulling the plug on most long-distance electric operations roughly a decade ago, where would they run now? Bolivia has EF66 diesel lookalikes and Brazil's RFFSA almost purchased copies of Spain's 251 class locos to replace elderly English Electric double-end streamlined C-C locos (themselves distant cousins of VR's L class locos).

Cheers NB

a number of former blue train sleeping cars are being used there together with type 14 cars too

I remember the news of these sleeping cars being delivered.  And I always wonder if they really have a use on the (currently) dilipidated system.  At least Thailand or (gulp) Myanmar has a working railway system.

a number of former blue train sleeping cars are being used there together with type 14 cars too

I remember the news of these sleeping cars being delivered.  And I always wonder if they really have a use on the (currently) dilipidated system.  At least Thailand or (gulp) Myanmar has a working railway system.

I'd be interested to know how much recipients pay for this rolling stock.  If they weren't buying the cars, they'd be scrap, so... scrap value plus a percentage?  On the one hand, new rolling stock is costly, on the other, used equipment seems to have limited resale possibilities/value.

They may just be donated, with the Philippines paying for shipment only (if that), and calculated as part of Official Development Assistance (ODA). The condition of much of the stock already there gives me the impression that the price was not very high...

qwertyaardvark

As a Filipino, my obligatory Pinoy Pride is hurting real bad right now... ;_; good lord those trains look terrible... prison on wheels is right! Just showed my dad some of the pictures, and asked him why the steel grates on all the windows... apparently the trains are often victims of either stone throwing by dumb people or kicked up debris on the tracks...  :sad: I've visited "home" twice when i was kid, but never did ride the trains... probably a good thing...

bikkuri bahn

Thanks foolish, of that sampler of Thailand railways action.  Looks like the sleepers are mainly B shindai (open berth) types, which alot of foreign travelers like to criticize in Japan, but personally I like them, 'cause they are akin to the traditional pullman open berths, plus they have adequate length to fit my 185cm frame.

Here is another similar video with a little more variety.  I think the stainless steel DMUs are Tokyu products, judging by the bogies (especially at 5:57), which look similar to the ones found on Tokyu 8500 series used on the Denentoshi Line. Also, the coaches look similar to the ones on Myanmar Rlwys, even down to the JNR pattern spring suspension bogies.