Hokutetsu "Shirasagi" (?) on the Oigawa Railway

Nick_Burman

Mark Newton will love this one, even if it isn't "his" line - ex-Hokutetsu "Shirasagi" (? - can't remember where I read it but I believe this was the train's name) trainset running on the Oigawa Railway. This beast ran on Hokutetsu's Kanan lines SW of Kanazawa and was unique on a couple of counts - first because of its all-aluminium body and second because it and its (non-aluminium-bodied) sisters were a brave attempt by a very rural railway at "fighting back" against road competition and sprucing up services (the line served a hot-springs area). Alas it didn't quite work and the two remaining lines closed in 1971. This particular train ended up serving more time on the Oigawa than for its original owner.

A truly unique piece of rolling stock which simply oozes character...

Cheers NB

Not only is it a very very pretty unit, it also sports a nice horn. The half-glass doors are something special as well. Too bad these units (6010 and 6050) aren't in service any more.

Mark Newton will love this one, even if it isn't "his" line - ex-Hokutetsu "Shirasagi" (? - can't remember where I read it but I believe this was the train's name) trainset running on the Oigawa Railway.

Sorry Nick, I missed this when you first posted this. You're not wrong - I think this trainset is something rather special. As you say, it was known as Shirasagi. There's some nice photos of it on the Kanan lines here:

http://umemado.blogspot.com/search/label/北陸鉄道加南線

As for the Oigawa Railway, the more I learn about it, the more I like it!  :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Nick_Burman

As for the Oigawa Railway, the more I learn about it, the more I like it!  :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

I couldn't agree more with you... :cool:

Cheers NB

LOL! Great minds think alike, as they say.

Seriously though, I was interviewed recently at work for our in-house magazine, and they asked me what my ideal job would be. I said that where I am now is my ideal job, but if I couldn't have that I'd like to be a fireman on the Oigawa Railway. That got me few puzzled looks.

Cheers,

Mark.