Long time, no posts. Just ordered the Kyushu N700-8000 Sakura.

Samurai_Chris

Samurai_Chris

Sorry guys. I have been organizing the move back to Australia, and haven't had the interest in railway since I decided that I will have to wait until I get settled before I can start the dream build again..

Anyway, I have collected a lot of stuff, and will be stocking up before I leave, and in that will be going in and getting the Kato Kyushu 800 Tsubame 6 piece kit tomorrow, and have put an order down for the new Tomix Sakura Shinkansen that will be coming on line soon..

Chris

Samurai_Chris

Kind of sudden actually mate.. My work ( I am a public servant for a town here in Fukuoka) decided to tell me a month out that my contract won't be renewed, and so after 10 years of dealing with that kind of crap here in Japan, I have decided to pack up and head back to Australia for a normal lifestyle again.. The wife and kids will follow in August when the summer break starts here..

CaptOblivious

Kind of sudden actually mate.. My work ( I am a public servant for a town here in Fukuoka) decided to tell me a month out that my contract won't be renewed, and so after 10 years of dealing with that kind of crap here in Japan, I have decided to pack up and head back to Australia for a normal lifestyle again.. The wife and kids will follow in August when the summer break starts here..

I can't say I blame you! That sounds pretty stressful to deal with more or less continuously. Good luck with the move!

Samurai_Chris

Thanks guys.. Still don't know what I am going to do when I get back to Ipswich, but have been peeled to the job classifieds from here and have a few ideas.. Yeah, it has been a hassle, but this time I told the wife that it was enough, and that it's time for a change of pace.. Not real fussed on what work I pick up at first, but just need to get settled back in and get a home set up for the family (they will come once my daughter and son start their Summer break)

As much as I have loved the past 10 years in Japan. We really are worlds apart from the Japanese, and their way or the highway lifestyle can become a little limiting and repetitious after a while. The only reason I stayed for so long was because of the wife and her family, and that our two kids were born here. But I think it's time for my family to have a turn for a while, and the kids a change in lifestyle..

Anyways, I am hoping that the trains don't stop running for too long. I will be packing them in my carry on luggage. Well, the 800Tsubame , N700-8000Sakura, and my local 813 Micro Ace sets.. And will wait for the rest to follow.. I will be looking at a mid April return to Australia..

Hey Chris,

This is speaking from the heart.

Learning from my own experience moving from HK to Canada as a kid, it takes about 6 months to get adjusted, English speaking or not.  So your kids will quickly do fine.  You and your wife will probably comment on how different and sometimes how outdated some of the things are in Australia as in Canada.  Both of you will take a little longer to adjust.

Uncomfortable words and comments will be heard especially when your family is living in a smaller city but your neighbours will soon get to know you and you will make their view of the world a little wider.

If Australia's job market is anything like Canada's, which I found very similar when I was there for a vacation.  They are plenty of job opportunities in resource based industries, home renovation and anything that requires hand skills.  IT and knowledge based will be harder to come by.  Getting a permanent government will not be easy, you have to be willing to start from the beginning.

Remember to breathe while making the big move!

Samurai_Chris

Mate, thank you..

Actually I took my daughter back for a visit after 5 years during Xmas/ New Year.. And the first week I was like WTF happened to this place.. But by the second week rolled around, both my daughter and I had settled in with my Australian family and friends and actually started dreading having to go back to Japan..

As for Japan, although it appears that Japan is a lot more advance than most nations then I say that unless you have lived here for any period of time, then that is simply not true.. Yes, they have good internet and communications system, and it is cheap. But as far as everyday living, it really isn't quite up there in my opinion to a first world country..

If you live in the middle of Tokyo, or where I am in Fukuoka, it is the most modern and advanced as any other worldly city.. But if you live in the country as I do. I still do not have a running toilet, and have to have my toilet pumped once a month. I still have to pay for and place gas into a drum in order to get hot water. And the old houses like mine have no insulation and so it costs me a fortune in summer for air conditioner power bills, and gas bills in winter for my gas heaters..

So going back to Australia and having a hot shower or bath when I wanted. A toilet that flushed, and not have to worry too much about the climate. (I like hot and humid) then I am ready to go home and get into a modern house and all the luxuries that go with it.. As for Japanese technology. I have it, and am lucky if I use my phone for example for anymore than the odd message or call.. I have over 100 channels and its all crap.. I went home at Xmas, and with all the new free to air stations with have with digital now, I was able to find something to watch when I wanted, and what I was interested in.. Only on about 10.. Although I will probably get Foxtel for my News documentaries and sport channels..

Martijn Meerts

I've done the whole moving back to country of birth thing as well. In my case it was quite weird, for the first month or 2 I really felt like I was on vacation rather than moved back home :)

I guess there's also always this "the grass is always greener..." thing. While I loved my time in Norway, living in Oslo was definitely something else than visiting the place and going to some mountain cabin for a couple of weeks.