Japanese #13 (finescale 1:80) difficulties

catcliffedemon

catcliffedemon

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to take my first steps into the wonderful world of Japanese railway modelling.

Japanese 1:80/HO uses 16.5mm track but I'm interested in the challenges of modelling the correct gauge of 13.375mm (scale 1,067mm). This is obviously a huge difference and I'd like to know if there is much of a following for these standards. According to Wikipedia there is scale/gauge combination known as #13 (for 1:80 on 13mm gauge track), which is a step in the right direction. However, I'd be amazed if ready-to-run HO locomotives from the likes of Kato, Tomix and Micro-Ace would accept wheels spaced 3.5mm closer without serious modification.

Hi models IMON are finescale 13mm manufacturers and also 1/87 on finescale track, take a look at their web site, http://www.imon.co.jp/ and use a translation tool to translate. I am sure that most of the model that are ready to run by the large makers can be easily converted to run on narrow gauge track.

catcliffedemon

Haha, yes, I have a Japanese acquaintance in Kawasaki who collects HO scale Ajin-produced brass. The models are wonderful, but well out of my price range!

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to take my first steps into the wonderful world of Japanese railway modelling.

Japanese 1:80/HO uses 16.5mm track but I'm interested in the challenges of modelling the correct gauge of 13.375mm (scale 1,067mm). This is obviously a huge difference and I'd like to know if there is much of a following for these standards. According to Wikipedia there is scale/gauge combination known as #13 (for 1:80 on 13mm gauge track), which is a step in the right direction. However, I'd be amazed if ready-to-run HO locomotives from the likes of Kato, Tomix and Micro-Ace would accept wheels spaced 3.5mm closer without serious modification.

Aclass has kits to convert their models to #13 gauge. So far this applies only to rolling stock.

Cheers NB