N-Scale WaMu (Boxcars)

KenS

There have been some comments on a few threads recently about the blue "WaMu" boxcars, and I picked up a few of these recently, so I thought I'd share a comparison photo. I notice we don't have a thread about Boxcars, which seems a bit odd, so I thought I'd start one.  Feel free to add anything on the topic, not just comments about these blue models.

I bought both the two-car Kato set (8033) and the single car Tomix (2715) models of the 380000 (the blue-car variant of the 80000 WaMu). Actually I bought several of each to make a train, since you can't read the duplicate numbers from any distance. In the big photo below, the Kato is on the left. The Kato model has blackened wheels, while the Tomix does not.

Notice the size difference: the two almost seem to be different scales. The Kato model is 60mm long, 19mm wide, and 26.5mm tall (railhead to roof peak) with a 25mm door, while the Tomix is 59mm in length, 18.5 mm wide, and 24.5mm high, but also has a 25mm door. Both have a wheelbase a fraction over 35 mm.

Based on the Japanese wikipedia page, maximum sizes should be 9650 mm L x 2882 mm W x 3703 mm H, or in 1:150 N-scale 64.3 mm L x 19.2 mm W x 24.7 mm H.  The wheelbase is 5300 mm, or 35.3 mm. I couldn't find door dimensions.

Neither of these is thus correct, although I think the Kato is closer and the Tomix almost seems to be 1:160 scale in length, but correct in height and wheelbase.  Either could match some prototype that wasn't the "maximum" size, if such exist. But the difference between them is enough that side-by-side they look a bit odd, and if you're thinking of a blue-car train (and didn't jump on the 35-car set) you may want to pick one manufacturer to use.

I prefer the Kato model, which I think captures the crisply rounded ends of the vertical corrugations on the side better (see this prototype photo). But the Tomix may have a more realistic profile.

Edit: fixed dimension typo.

post-264-1356992711189_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569927112292_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569927112783_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
ShinCanadaSen

Wow, I just noticed that they use single axle bogies. Is this common to all wamu's? I also guess that this would mean that they are only rated for lighter loads (relative to train cars that is ;) ).

Something odd I found with the Kato cars when I tried them out - the couplers lack a spring despite using the same design as other Kato cars. Because of this I got a big slinky effect until I switched most of them over to knuckles. While comparible to other Japanese models I also found the weight was not ideal for smooth running (with only 2 axles they come off the rails easily). The weight inside is about half the length of the car and quiet thin. I might add more weight inside to see how it affects running quality. I'm not sure if they'd also do better with a black wash to add some depth to the all blue plastic.

Are the modern JRF wood chip cars 48000 re-modelled box cars?, I think these N scale cars are lovely I really wish they would do these in 1/80,

Yes. 380 000  and 480 000 :)

Angus

CaptOblivious

Wow, I just noticed that they use single axle bogies. Is this common to all wamu's? I also guess that this would mean that they are only rated for lighter loads (relative to train cars that is ;) ).

It is in fact common to all freight cars with the -mu suffix :D

I only have the Micro-Ace A-3551 set of 15 brown Wamu 80000 so I can't directly compare the different makes, but the dimensions closely match the Tomix version. They are a bit heavier than other four wheel Kato and Kawai cars I have.

The Japanese wikipedia page show 'maximum' dimensions so maybe there were variations over the fleet. Prototype rolling stock is often measured over coupler pulling faces or buffers so that could account for wikipedia's greater length.

There were several constructive variations of the WaMu80000 boxcars, including one with roof hatches for glass transportation. In HO AClass makes all the variations (except the 380000 and 480000s). Judging by the pictures in HobbySearch they were all dimensionally identical.

Cheers NB

Mainly the 380000s (blue boxcars, for paper products) and 480000s (converted to woodchip gondolas, mainly used in Hokkaido AFAIK). I don't know if there are any 80000s running in revenue service anymore. There are still a few 80000s hanging around, painted in green and lettered "SUPPLY LINE" - these are used to ferry spare parts between central workshops and outlying depots.

Cheers NB

From the Google translation of the Japanese Wikipedia article the woodchip traffic ended in March 2008, which would tie in with my seeing some of the woodchip cars in a train on Hokkaido in 2006. It also, as far as I can tell, says that out of 26,205 built JR Hokkaido and JR East have one each in company service and JR Freight have 401 left. I doesn't say if they are all the blue variant but I didn't see any brown ones during my trip last year, on previous trips it was not unusual to see a few brown ones mixed in with the blue.