Late Friday Night Train Ride in Tokyo: quickie photos

gmat

Moderation note: Please try to post your threads in the correct forum. If you put any thread where ever you feel like it, first they will end up being lost and allmost unretrievable, second you give me (and the others) unnecessary work. So please, really, before posting, look around, think a bit about the available options before hitting the "new topic" button, I (and the others) will greatly appreciate. Thank you. :)

This note is not meant to anyone in particular but to everyone around here, this misplaced thread was just the perfect occasion. I'm not scolding anyone and if someone has anything to add on this toppic, please contact me by PM. Let's go back to the matter hat hand.

By the way, this has nothing to do in the OT section and would be better off in the Prototype section. ;)

I don't get it, why use this range of colors? Is the photograph trying to make us forget the fact those shots are baddly framed?  :grin

I don't get it, why use this range of colors? Is the photograph trying to make us forget the fact those shots are baddly framed?  :grin

I think the effect is deliberate, to mimic old snapshot film cameras of yore.  Isn't this one of those apps you find on the Iphone?  I think shashinka is involved in this type of photography (I can't recall the name).  One of the ironies of the digital revolution with its perfect pictures is it's making people nostalgic for the more analog, random, flaw-filled (i.e. more human) aspects of traditional film photography.

Yes, there is apps for Iphones that make that kind of "old" looking snapshots. I actually knew the effect was deliberate, directly taken like that on the Iphone or edited afterward on Photoshop. But in my opinion this doesn't bring anything to the pictures, on the contrary. They would have been better either in over saturated black white or normal colors. In my opinion the composition is missing something, some intensity but it's always interesting to see (for us who won't live in Japan) those kind of shots.

Far too self-consciously "hip" for my liking. Without the processing I wouldn't give any of these images a second glance.

Cheers,

Mark.

Without the processing I wouldn't give any of these images a second glance.

Obviously you aren't hip enough. ;-)

But seriously, folks--this is just the latest version of style (with accompanying attitude) over substance. Not everything has to be razor-sharp (I'm sure not :-P ), and over-processed simulations of under-done pictures are fine for fun, but it's not a shortcut to genius.

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

Without the processing I wouldn't give any of these images a second glance.

But seriously, folks--this is just the latest version of style (with accompanying attitude) over substance. Not everything has to be razor-sharp (I'm sure not :-P ), and over-processed simulations of under-done pictures are fine for fun, but it's not a shortcut to genius.

On the other hand, loading a Soviet-era Lomo LC-A with cheap film, and shooting from the hip while riding a bicycle at full tilt through your morning commute is a hell of a lot of fun :D

• Like 1

Me not hip enough? I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.  :grin

Couldn't agree more!

Cheers,

Mark.

On the other hand, loading a Soviet-era Lomo LC-A with cheap film, and shooting from the hip while riding a bicycle at full tilt through your morning commute is a hell of a lot of fun :D

That does sound like fun. But how long did it take for the gravel rash to heal afterwards?  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

More Hipstamatic shots I see, better report this to Ryan ASAP so he can gloat about his newly found company fame. I can actually tell you which lens and film combo was used for each shot, and frankly for most of them, I would never in a thousand years use a Kaimal Mark II with Float film. then again tow thirds of these shots would be in my reject pile at the end of a day shooting with the Hipstamatic.

http://hipstamaticapp.com/