How can I tell it's "new better Kato steam"?

kmcsjr

i emailed realline directly they have their own store asked them if they ship to aus internationaly.

Also asked them if they could send me specs of 2 of the loco's i.e. motor details  if fly wheel etc.

I'm not saying the train should run good from the price but what i am saying is that the review i found in japanese was from a 2006 release model where the ones i am looking at is a 2009 release.

I was hoping was they were using a better motor from the time gap between the models.

Stick with the Kato D51. I've not seen a better looking and running N scale locomotive yet. Smooth performance from low speed, and it's a real pleasure just to admire the detail and finished look. I purchased the Kato 9600 a couple of years ago and thought then that this couldn't be bettered.  Also just added their new C62.  I can compare with a big stable of Microace locos, and they are not in the running for looks and performance. 

Angus

Excellent news Angus!!!

I ordered one yesterday. Waiting impatiently..... Anyway, I love my Fleischmann steamers, but at the new prices, I'm done. My contention is that Kato will step in and offer affordable, reliable, awesome European steamers. I'm going to compare this loco to them and see!

Real Line seem to do a lot of different variations of the D51 if you're looking for a specific prototype and don't mind paying for it, but I'll go along with Angus, if you just want a D51 go with the new Kato D51 498. IMHO it could seriously set the new standard for N scale steam.

With the D51 498, Kato made a big step forward in setting the standards for a new generation of N scale steam locomotives. You definitively need magnifying glasses to capture all the detail, which is equal to many a HO scale steamer. Its smooth performance is also setting the standard. Other brands will have to follow.

Compared to the likes of Fleischmann, Minitrix et al., this Kato steamer is a bargain - at only half the cost!

Word got around today that 498 would be doing a breaking in turn on the afternoon freight. As usual there was a railfan there with his iPhone.

• Like 3

Word got around today that 498 would be doing a breaking in turn on the afternoon freight. As usual there was a railfan there with his iPhone.

What doesn't get recorded these days?  :cheesy

Wow, that is one beautiful running steam engine and powerful too! Have you put a decoder in it or are you running it DC?

An MRC 1637 sound decoder. Not the best sound I've heard from an N scale decoder but Kato made the tender weight to fit it and it's speaker.

Great Video, on YouTube there was a link to a 4-6-0 video, I'm assuming is yours as well. From the videos, the 4-6-0 can pull more LOL  :grin

I gotta find a club in NJ...

Great Video, on YouTube there was a link to a 4-6-0 video, I'm assuming is yours as well. From the videos, the 4-6-0 can pull more LOL  :grin

I gotta find a club in NJ...

You mean this one, the new Bachmann 4-6-0. Both engines could probably pull more as neither were starting to struggle with the load yet, I haven't had mine apart but from photos I've seen the 4-6-0 has a similar coreless motor to the D51.

Guest Closed Account 1

On which?

Kato USA told me that a steamer in a starter set is going to be released this year that has Mikado parts on it.  Kato stopped producing the Mikado.

Wish they'd tell me which set.

Martijn Meerts

I bet they mean this set:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10134793

It is the old D51, not to be mistaken with the new release.

That doesn't count as a starter set I believe. Usually, starter sets have track and a controller included as well. Occasionally they skip the controller though.

On which?

Kato USA told me that a steamer in a starter set is going to be released this year that has Mikado parts on it.  Kato stopped producing the Mikado.

Wish they'd tell me which set.

If they mean the U.S. Mikado none of the engines we are talking about here have any parts in common with it as they are all completely new tooling, the new D51 has nothing in common even with the old D51. However if they mean they are doing a new U.S. engine with parts or technology from the new Japanese Mikado that could be interesting, the U.S. Mikado retooled to the standards of the new D51 could see a lot of old ones turning up on Ebay. It would be nice if Kato USA could give straight answers.

D51 arrived yesterday!!! It is prettier and does run better than my old D51 and C57. Breking it in now. The drive wheels seem to have a lot of side to side movement. I am guessing this allows for smaller radii, But I think it's also what leads to the clicking noise. It's a 2-8-2, so I'm hoping it ends up as smoothe as the US Mikes. Meanwhile, I will watch it run on my desk.