Suggestions for making a Bachmann 44 tonner 'Japanese'

David

Problem: The Bachmann N scale 44 tonner and 70 tonner are by all reports fantastic DCC equipped switchers. I was able to finally see one in person and was duely impressed. However it's an American prototype.

Problem: I want a smaller locomotive/switcher to better go with the limited space of a table top layout. I have a DE10 on order, but something even smaller is desired. However to go smaller the options are a Deki 3 (terrible performance), Kawai switcher (bad performance, really a repainted Bachmann Plymouth), or long out of production Tomix or Microace (questionable performance).

Solution: Dress up a Bachmann 44 tonner as a Japanese prototype. I just need a prototype to model it on - DD arrangement, center cab and relatively short (ex. the KD55 is close, but is obviously longer then a 44 tonner). For reference the 44 tonner prototype is 33.5' (10.2m) long. Bachmann's model is a bit wider on the ends then the actual prototype to make room for the motor.

The DD12 class were ex US Army locos. I thought the Bachmann N gauge 44t  might suit but it would appear there were several versions of this loco. 

The Bachmann cab needs to be lowered and the bogies appear different. 

The JNR DD12s worked around Yokohama I believe.

post-19-1356992699136_thumb.jpg

post-19-13569926991525_thumb.jpg