Space Battleship Yamato- live action movie

bikkuri bahn

Last weekend saw the motion picture version of the popular 1970's animation series Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers in the U.S.).  Perhaps one of the most anticipated movies of recent vintage (especially among men in their 40's and 50's), I put off viewing it until the hoopla died down.  I'll cut to the chase: it's not all that it's stacked up to be.  First the good: the Yamato exteriors are awesome, and the special effects are up to par, despite a budget below most Hollywood releases, perhaps a rank above the recent B.G. tv series.  And the bad: generally atrocious acting, though this is no real surprise for a Japanese action/SF movie, missing elements from the original series (due to copyright claims), and the sheer impossibility of squeezing a story spanning 26 episodes into a 2.5 hour movie. As a fan of the original series, I would give it a generous 2 stars out of 5, while for a non-fans it may be a soft 3, for an overall rank of 2.5 out of 5. 

Some clips.

Opening scene, a battle with Gamilas ships around Mars.  This is before the Yamato is launched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk5AyXPfVZs&feature=related

Firing up the wave motion gun for the first time.  Perhaps the best scene in the movie, though here it is cut at the end.

trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=904zIBCw8Ao&feature=related

I really want to see this movie... I haven't seen the series yet, but have seen the Space Battleship Yamato 'Revived' movie from 2009 and must say that it was a nice Anime movie. only thing is that it's only in the chinema in Japan and nowhere over here :( I almost never watch hollywood 'crap' anymore, (Yes, to much plot holes or stories that are just awefull) I rather watch Asian stuff, like Japanese and North Korean movies.

I rather watch Asian stuff, like Japanese and North Korean movies.

Rather eclectic choice there.  Let me know when the the Shogun-sama wins an Academy Award or Palme d'Or :laugh:

Martijn Meerts

I really want to see this movie... I haven't seen the series yet, but have seen the Space Battleship Yamato 'Revived' movie from 2009 and must say that it was a nice Anime movie. only thing is that it's only in the chinema in Japan and nowhere over here :( I almost never watch hollywood 'crap' anymore, (Yes, to much plot holes or stories that are just awefull) I rather watch Asian stuff, like Japanese and North Korean movies.

It might show up in an obscure cinema somewhere in about 2 years :)

I still watch quite a lot of movies, but I've noticed more and more that with Hollywood movies I have them on as more or less background noise while working on some modeling. In most cases I can follow the story (what story? :)) just fine.

The worst are all the J-horror remakes though, because the remakes completely miss the point of the originals :)

I rather watch Asian stuff, like Japanese and North Korean movies.

Rather eclectic choice there.  Let me know when the the Shogun-sama wins an Academy Award or Palme d'Or :laugh:

whoops, sorry... my bad... I of course ment South Korean movies  :grin

i was watching a samurai drama in jpn valley of wind i think it was ? korean made drama i beleive

either way i watch everything and anything.

I have seen most of the anime can't say i liked it that much