Identification Help Wanted

Sir Madog

I am planning to include a winter scene on my layout and have found a pic of a snow plow in the web:

dm14-3.jpg

Can any one help me to identify the model and the maker of it?

Now I see it is a flanger, not a snow plow....

Not so much a flanger as a Japanese version of a Jordan spreader. It's listed as a spreader in a 1947 publication issued by the Liaison Office of the Osaka Railway division, but it doesn't say whether it's an actual Jordan product or a locally-built vehicle. At a guess I'd say it's locally built, judging by the builder's plates visible in some of the photos I've seen. Nice looking model!

Cheers,

Mark.

EDIT: The Japanese Wiki page on snow ploughs refers to this as a "McRae" car, and if I understand it correctly, it functions in exactly the opposite manner to a Jordan spreader. The wings are apparently designed to drag snow back towards the centre of the track, where it can be collected by the rotary snow plough and then thrown well clear of the track. Bloody clever!

800px-Kimaroki_trains.JPG

Image from wikipedia.

Nothing on Wikipedia or the JNS Wiki. I'm sure someone will post more details on it translated from the the Jp Wiki.

EDIT: Here's the Wiki Jp Link, but I still don't feel like translating.  http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AD%E3%83%9E%E3%83%AD%E3%82%AD%E7%B7%A8%E6%88%90

I photographed that lineup from the train on the way up to Wakkanai.

post-218-13569926977758_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569926978081_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

MA had a rotary plow set along with the spreader set. the rotor actually spins when running on the model! very impressive set to have the rotary plow, the spreader and two steam locos! locos are very nicely detailed as well.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kisyaclub/a0320/

this was like $230 shipped when i grabbed them for the two sets combined. it was a lot, but it was such a unique set i could not pass it up -- knew it would go OOS fast. a few have come across ebay at reasonable prices and newhall has them for about 3x what i paid for them!

cheers

jeff