Question on scenery - japanese greenery

I admire the lush green scenery found on so many outstanding Japanese layouts and I wonder, how they made it. I was thinking of using WS fine turf and coarse turf for it and adding clump foliage. Will that work?

Martijn Meerts

Depends on exactly what scenery. Mountains they often seem to fill with this rather cheap-ish stuff, which I remember using back in my Lima H0 days (25 years ago), and which I always thought looked like crap. Then again, we used it for bushes and trees, not to simulate the canopy of a dense forest.

For grass lands, small bushes, hints of flowers etc. I've really started liking the WS stuff. I do find it difficult to really get something to look like how I imagine it in my mind though. Not because it's difficult, but more because never seem to get the right colors. Quite often, the WS stuff darkens a bit after having been glued on, and it's especially the case with their ballast.

You could always build some small test bits of scenery and get an idea of the stuff. The WS started/learning kits are quite handy for that.

Yeah, I also remember this cheap lichen stuff, which looked like anything else than the real thing.

The following picture shows what I am aiming at:

b-5.jpg

• Like 2

I've used nearly all WS on my layout and I'm quite happy with the results.  There are cheaper alternatives out there which I tried, but to me, not as good as WS, just my opinion.  The layout is nowhere near finished yet, another couple of months should see it right.   You can see my scenery in the Gallery at HST 's Trains.

Dave.

Looks good to me - HST!

I will give the WS stuff a try - clump foliage + fine turf on the ground. See what i can come up with.

Yeah, I also remember this cheap lichen stuff, which looked like anything else than the real thing.

b-5.jpg

Looks a lot like Woodland Scenic clump foliage.

i bought a tonne of clump foilage and going to order a bunch or random trees. want to get some good japanese pines but they are costly.

what i did see which was heaps cheap and has a more of a mossey green colour at a totoro shop in japan they sell it to make ghibli setups i.e. for laputa and totoro etc. They sell it massive bag $6 i was considering it but it was not a summer colour

We've had to use various colors of lichen--the cost of individual store-bought trees for our semi-rural, semi-large layout would be way too high. For hilltops, etc., this is fine, but I'm wondering how to simulate the dense overhanging trees you see in some Japanese river scenes.

b-5.jpg

Early in JNS there was a discussion about this topic.  Japan has a rainy season from mid-May until July that results in some very lush green scenes. It is so dense that the base of trees are usually not visible. Captain Oblivious used clump foliage on his Shogatsu module as documented on his Akihabara Station blog.

I Beheld the Mountains, and, Lo, They Looked Surprisingly Good

Addition of Foliage

Until November…