Trains through Kofu, c.1984

The_Ghan

I'm interested in the trains that ran through Kofu station in 1984.  I was in highschool there in those days but, strangely enough, was into British rail HO scale .... and girls .... so didn't pay enough attention to the rolling stock that I rode on.

As a tribute to serving my time in a Japanese highschool (and I chose my words carefully there ... on one occasion, 43 days straight) I'm dedicating part of my layout to a "Kofu" scene.  I have a few questions about the rolling stock:

1. I used to ride to Tokyo on an express train.  Was it the Chuo-Liner, the Azusa, or could it have been both of these (not simultaneously, of course)?

2. Everyday I used to take a blue and cream train to school.  Was it a series 113 or 115?

3. Sometimes I'd take a green and orange version of the train above.  It was an express.  I believe it was called  a Tokai?

4. Could someone with more knowledge than myself point me in the right direction of product?  Eg:

Azusa = A0571 A0584 10-413

Chuo Liner = Kato 10-488

Tokai = ??

Suburban = A4520 & Tomix 92211

All help with sorting this out appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

The_Ghan

1. I used to ride to Tokyo on an express train.  Was it the Chuo-Liner, the Azusa, or could it have been both of these (not simultaneously, of course)?

*I think you mean the limited express (tokkyu)?  That would be Azusa 183/189 series.

2. Everyday I used to take a blue and cream train to school.  Was it a series 113 or 115?

*it would be the 115 series, these were built for mountainous routes and cold weather conditions.  They are equipped with regenerative braking.

3. Sometimes I'd take a green and orange version of the train above.  It was an express.  I believe it was called  a Tokai?

*Likely the Kaiji, using 165 series express type, in the orange/green shonan colors. Apparently 115 series were also used.  The Tokai was an express train that ran on the Tokaido Line between Tokyo and Shizuoka.

I'll let the n-scalers point you to good models of the types above.

Claude_Dreyfus

Tomix did produce a class 115 in blue and cream 'Chuo' colours. It is currently out of production, however I do have one on hopeful order with HS; it is cat number 92211 referred to in your opening post. Kato also supply the class 183 and 189, although the 189 may be in a slightly newer livery than the period you are looking at.

Don't forget the locos as well - almost exclusively the EF64 (not the similar EF64-1000). Tomix currently produce a couple of different versions of this model...

About the liveries, the blue/creme is typically refered to as "suka" color.  I thought this meant Yokosuka, but this image from Wikipedia says it's really Yamasuka.  A google search on 横須賀色 turns up more hits than 山スカ色.

115sideviewyamasuka.png

There's also the Nagano livery that you'll see on the Chuo Line, mostly west of Otsuki:

model1151000ofjreast.jpg

I think this would be post-1984, however, it's a JR East livery, not Kokutetsu, as far as I know.

Thanks folks,

I've ordered a 9 car MicroAce Azusa and 10 cars of the Tokai series 165 Shonan colour - both from HobbySearch.  I also managed to pickup the green car from Ace on Ebay.  It's costing me $35, which isn't so bad.  The Series 115 suka will have to wait until someone restocks it.  I can't find it for a reasonable price anyway.  Ace has one, but it's going to cost me around $400 - thats about double what I'm prepared to spend.

Finally, does anyone know what rolling stock was running on the Minobu Line through to Kofu in 1984?  I remember seeing 2-3 car sets but can't remember the series or livery.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Kato produced a Minobu line livered series 115. This was dark red with a white stripe...not sure if this was the livery back in 1984 though...

A few interesting bits here, including the Kato 115... http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=0&scope2=0&urikire=1&itkey=minobu

Yup, it was so back then.  Nice livery.

At Fuji, 1981:

http://www.jnr-photo.com/ECshinseino/minobusen/115minobusen-b.JPG

At Kofu, 1981:

http://www.jnr-photo.com/ECshinseino/minobusen/115minobusen-a.JPG

*the station layout is much more open and bright than it is now. 

I'm searching the deep, dark recesses of my mind but can't say the red livery rings a bell.  I must admit, I never actually rode the Minobu train.  I'm checking my photos this weekend.  However, as you guys have confirmed the matter I'll put some money aside for the next order ... around Easter.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Yup, it was so back then.  Nice livery.

At Fuji, 1981:

http://www.jnr-photo.com/ECshinseino/minobusen/115minobusen-b.JPG

At Kofu, 1981:

http://www.jnr-photo.com/ECshinseino/minobusen/115minobusen-a.JPG

*the station layout is much more open and bright than it is now. 

Thought I was looking at 711s in Hokkaido for a moment there.  Not that many red JR/JNR liveries out there, when I think about it.

If you get a Tomix 115 in Minobu livery, you should talk to Bill, so that you're prepared when the motor goes bad.  :grin

Not that many red JR/JNR liveries out there, when I think about it.

I only know this from looking at models, but there was a similar red/white livery for Hokuriku, too.

What! What! What!!!

The motor goes bad? When? How? Why? ... too late now ... couldn't wait 'till Easter ... ordered the Minobu while wife wasn't looking ..

Duck and run !

Cheers

The_Ghan

I've now covered everything for Kofu Station c. 1984, except for the 115 Yokosuka, which is hard to get in a full consist.

Can someone enlighten me as to what runs through Kofu today?

Cheers

The_Ghan

while i have no idea personally this is from wiki and may answer you're questions.

chou east line is the one that passes. this is the rolling stock list.

Takao - Shiojiri

Most of the rapid service trains from Tokyo turn at Takao where the line exits the large urban area of Tokyo. The section between Takao and Ōtsuki still carries some commuter trains as well as long distance local trains and Limited Express trains. The Kaiji limited express terminates at Kōfu, the capital of Yamanashi Prefecture, while the Azusa and Super Azusa continue beyond Shiojiri to the Shinonoi Line.

Chūō East Line (JR East)

E233 series

115 series

E351 seriesNew E233 series trains entered service on Tokyo-area commuter services from December 26, 2006. These trains are a development of the E231 series used on other commuter lines in the Tokyo area, and replaced the aging 201 series rolling stock introduced on the line in 1981.

Chūō Rapid Line

201 series

E233 series

Limited Express

E257 series (Azusa, Kaiji, Chūō Liner, Ōme Liner)

E351 series (Super Azusa)

253 series (Narita Express) (One train per day starts/terminates at Takao)

Seasonal services

183 series (Azusa, Wing Azusa, Moonlight Shinshū)

185 series (Hamakaiji)

215 series (View Yamanashi)

the minobu line

The Limited Express Fujikawa (ふじかわ?) is operated 7 laps a day, between Kōfu - Fuji - Shizuoka with JR Central 373 series. Other trains are local, more services in the both ends on Fuji - Nishi-Fujinomiya and Kajikazawaguchi - Kōfu than in the section in between. 313 series EMUs and 211 series EMUs are used for local services presently.

bikkuri bahn

Then, as now, the 115 series handle the local and long distance local services through Kofu.  Long may they live.  Once they are gone, I reckon I will no longer railfan this stretch of mainline, though freight may hold interest still.

I used to travel through Kofu daily to school.  I went to Kofu Higashi Highschool, just south of Sakaori Station (which has been rebuilt since I was there in '84-'85).  But I lived in Oshimo-jo, Shikishima-Cho.  I can't find it anywhere on Google Earth.  Also, I can't remember if I used to get out at Ryuo or the next stop, Shiozaki.  I'm trying to remember back 27 years.  I can remember the train guard calling "Ryuo, Ryuuuuo desu".  But I can't remember the guard calling Shiozaki ... so I think it was Ryuo.

My next problem is finding my old house.  I can dig out the house number, I think it was 2-7-14, actually, or something similar.  If you look at Ryuo station on Google Earth (or Map), there is a covered drive-through area both north and south of the station.  In my day, there was a huge bicycle rack to the south, where the covered area now stands.  I think I used to ride down the hill to the east, past the car park, branch north under the railway, continue north under the motor way, but then I get lost ... the rice fields are missing.  I'm going to rummage through my old correspondence and see if I can confirm an address.  Is anyone here likely to be able to help me pinpoint it on a map?

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn

One thing about Ryuo is that it has been extensively developed- both the station (which recently re-opened) and from what I remember when I last visited, the surrounding area (opposite the oil facility) has much new housing and streets.  Many of those rice fields are likely now concrete and subdivisions.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=35.670955,138.526558&spn=0.006432,0.01369&z=17

Totally changed.

I'm going to review the few things I still have - photos, etc, that might help me identify the exact location of my house.  The area is nothing like what I remember and I fear returning there might do more harm than good.

Cheers

The_Ghan