Where are the N Scale Type 66 Maser Cannons?

quinntopia

Okay, I admit this may be a somewhat random post, but with all the various Gojira models, where are the Type 66 Maser Cannons? Or Type 90?  Perhaps I'm more of a geek than I should let on, but the Toho films had such neat stuff in them, but yet models are rare or non-existent.  We have Gojira and all his monster friends, we have the trains, and plenty of buildings, but no JSDF vehicles to fight off the monsters?  Frankly, the lack of appreciation the rest of the world shows to Japan for its years of defense against all these monsters is somewhat embarrassing...but I don't want to get too political.

Anywhere, here are some links to a few of the prototypes:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/type66_maser_cannon.htm

http://www.tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/type90_maser_cannon.htm

http://www.tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/sar-1.htm

http://www.tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/mbaw-93.htm

The only thing I've ever found are these 1:48 scale kits: http://www.toywiz.com/godzillatype66rcmaser.html

quinn,

probably will have to roll your own! but good starting point would be some of the 1/144 takara tank world models. something like

http://cgi.ebay.com/M1A1HA-Abrams-2nd-Marine-Tank-Bn-97-CAN-DO-1-144-12mm-/380311473063?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item588c548ba7#ht_2310wt_1078

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trumpeter-Japan-JGSDF-Type-90-Tank-w-Mine-Roller-1-144-/320453716199?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a9c87a8e7#ht_800wt_845

then build your own maser cannons! the MBAW-93 does not look so hard to make the cannons for and mount them on the side of the turret.

dont forget the old conventional tanks like the type 61

http://cgi.ebay.com/Takara-1-144-WTM-4-JGSDF-Type-61-MBT-Tank-Olive-Drab-/190488529995?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item2c5a004c4b#ht_859wt_845

those got squished a lot in the streets!

you figure with the number of godzilla and train fans there would be more N scale stuff made to create small godzilla scenes! its not easy even getting a proper scale goji!

i agree its a shame we have no defense models for our layouts, this allows goji to run amuck on our layout! who is to stop him???

also on goji we always call him a him, did anyone ever sex him? where then, did son of godzilla come from then??? think we should know if we bring goji to our layouts as it could be as bad as bringing home what you thought were two of the same sex hamsters...

keep looking!

cheers

jeff

Hi Jeff!  Thanks for the reply...from the responses I was getting (er..not)I thought maybe I posted this on some narrow gauge, hand-laying track, and point to point layout forum!   :grin  Just kidding (nothing wrong with those things at all, except that I'm assuming those modelers would be even less interested in Type 66 or other awesome arsenals of human defense than people on this forum, but maybe I'm wrong?  Maybe there's a whole thread on one of those forums where they are discussing something like

• "You know, the Western Steakhouse and Grizzly railroad only had two Rainer class Shay locomotives working the Oppepochokee branch, not three as many stupid people believe; the sadly mis-identified third was- in truth- a subvariant of the Ranier class with only 4 super-heared steam displacers underneath anglecock",
    • "ahhh, good point, but wouldn't a Maser cannon be cool?",
    • "Yeah, but it should have enough rivets! Just like the prototype!"

Anyway....yes! Since there is APPARENTLY virtually no demand for this kind of product from Japanese (or other) N Scale modelers, I will NOT expect the likes of TomyTec of Bandai to come out with my dream collection of the JSDF in 1/150 prepared to defend Japan - and the world - from the monsters!!!  :BangHead:

Yes, scratch-building is on the list then!  Then I will show all those lurkers who viewed this thread and mocked me!  Oh yes, they'll PAY!!! (cue evil laugh!) BrooHA AHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!! :confused2:

Anyway....yes! Since there is APPARENTLY virtually no demand for this kind of product from Japanese (or other) N Scale modelers, I will NOT expect the likes of TomyTec of Bandai to come out with my dream collection of the JSDF in 1/150 prepared to defend Japan - and the world - from the monsters!!!

Perhaps I am not quite at that extreme, but in my mind's eye I do see some high tension transmission lines across the back corner of my layout, perfect for Godzilla to get caught up in.  Just haven't quite figured out yet how to do it. 

quin, dont give up hope, perhaps its just an overlooked audience! i know i have seen model parts that look like the maser canons, perhaps it was when i was looking at gundam stuff or other scifi parts.

we have always talked about potentially filling in the center area of the new JRM layout with diorama scenes and no track, so potentially we could do a pretty good sized godzilla battle. usually goji is lurking around the layout, but his destruction is down to munching on an oil tanker and maybe squishing a bus. i keep meaning to tear up one of my old bandai star trains 205s so it can be hanging from his mouth with some people coming out and other gory details!

curt the ez wire would be perfect for this! then we would just need the spark generator to shower him and the surrounding area with sparks! i can just hear the goji roars now!

martijn, i have the 999 train and the gun car is great, but is not w/in NMRA standards at all! if you have any tunnels, forget it! it is very cute though and a very heavy car!

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

martijn, i have the 999 train and the gun car is great, but is not w/in NMRA standards at all! if you have any tunnels, forget it! it is very cute though and a very heavy car!

cheers

jeff

Yeah, I have it as well, and it's pretty much only good for sitting at a siding where nothing else would fit =)

If course, you can also always grab a gundam or 2 to battle Goji, plenty of 1:144 Gundams to go around =)

yeah i have a 78 that i built to model the 1:1 statue scene!

he is tiny though to goji! do have a scale ultra man so i can do that battle or a baltram to do battle with ultraman!

cheers

jeff

Perhaps I am not quite at that extreme, but in my mind's eye I do see some high tension transmission lines across the back corner of my layout, perfect for Godzilla to get caught up in.  Just haven't quite figured out yet how to do it. 

That's a really cool idea....it actually got me started on thinking one what would be the.coolest.diorama.ever....picture this...an animated Godzilla moves through a series of those transmission lines, as Goji hits the wires, the towers would bend, and small LED's would flash white like an electrical short! Add a sound module, and this could be the coolest thing ever! 

Martijn/Jeff: I think you guys are right... the mecha's and gundams must have enough of the right bits to make  decent mazer tank!  Certainly a Roco tank tread base would work just fine for the 'tractor' section...this idea is really getting me excited!

Martijn Meerts

That's a really cool idea....it actually got me started on thinking one what would be the.coolest.diorama.ever....picture this...an animated Godzilla moves through a series of those transmission lines, as Goji hits the wires, the towers would bend, and small LED's would flash white like an electrical short! Add a sound module, and this could be the coolest thing ever! 

Martijn/Jeff: I think you guys are right... the mecha's and gundams must have enough of the right bits to make  decent mazer tank!  Certainly a Roco tank tread base would work just fine for the 'tractor' section...this idea is really getting me excited!

An animated Goji in N-scale, that's gonna be a tough one ;)

An animated Goji in N-scale, that's gonna be a tough one ;)

no not at all, just going to cost you a lot! there is a great 1m high godzilla (godzilla at his tallest 150m in n scale) that is totally remote control with a lot of action that should work well to crash through some collapsable power lines!!! its pretty rare now. they use to come up on ebay for like $500, but would have been shot i think if that came in the house and would have terrified the dog!

also a mecha godzilla one as well:

also stumbled upon this rc type 66 maser cannon. its 1/48 (O) scale, but lots of good pictures if you decide to model one!

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Type-66-Maser-Cannon-Scale/dp/B0035QJN18

http://cgi.ebay.com/GODZILLA-TYPE-66-MASER-CANNON-R-C-KIT-v2-Remote-Control-/280622415291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4156663dbb#ht_3402wt_1078

actually this one might be really close to it n scale, maybe a bit larger, but not sure if the 165mm is the total length then it might be close as that would put the whole thing at 76 feet long! take a look at the video. the pulling tank/car looks to be about 3" long which would put it at around 30' long which would be right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riNeDjFI8Fo

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCI-FI-REVOLTECH-TOKU-SATSU-015-MOBILE-MASER-CANNON-/230510367690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ab7d13ca#ht_4184wt_1308

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCI-FI-REVOLTECH-No-015-Mobile-Maser-Cannon-Figure-/370478371854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56423b540e#ht_786wt_1078

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kaiyodo-Revoltech-SCI-FI-015-15-Mobile-Maser-Cannon-/160498023380?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255e6d7bd4#ht_2522wt_845

http://www.kaiyodo.co.jp/revoltech/tokusatsu.html

HO scale model kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/War-Gargantuas-Sanda-vs-Gaira-MASER-CANNON-/370479581780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56424dca54#ht_2839wt_1078

im now wondering if my vinyl godzilla model can have anything animated in him, but i fear he is too stiff for that. these nice rc ones have a very flexible latex skin on them. at least want to put a voice chip in the new ones. maybe some leds behind the eyes to just glow them a tiny bit...

cheers

jeff

The RC things always walk so terribly stiff though, it'd just look weird...

yeah but if you just had him squirming some in the wires and maybe tilting his head back for a roar, simple action like that would be enough to make a very good scene. animation on layouts is tough as it can really conflict with the overall layout, the vast majority of is not animated!

i am working on a remote control for some audio elements for the layout, starting with goji roars. want to wait until a kid gets close to goji on the layout then make him roar!

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

The RC things always walk so terribly stiff though, it'd just look weird...

yeah but if you just had him squirming some in the wires and maybe tilting his head back for a roar, simple action like that would be enough to make a very good scene. animation on layouts is tough as it can really conflict with the overall layout, the vast majority of is not animated!

i am working on a remote control for some audio elements for the layout, starting with goji roars. want to wait until a kid gets close to goji on the layout then make him roar!

cheers

jeff

hehe, and then dial 911 to get an ambulance, because the grandpa taking the kid to see the layout is having a heart attack ;)

You really can get anything on the Internet.  :grin

At 6 cm wide it seems a bit oversize for N, but careful placement away from anything to give it exact scale might let you get away with that.  Post photos when you've got Goji facing off against it.

Yes, THE roar!  I submit it was the iconic roar of Godzilla that really makes him more than just a monster.

Back to the rest of the responses....Martijn, thanks for the links to the videos and the Revoltech models!  I'm going to pick one of these up as well...the price isn't all that bad!

You should get the Galaxy Express TV version, it comes with the guncar =)

Okay, I finally went and looked up what all this Galaxy Express stuff is all about....I have to say, I could have a lot of fun with an N scale version of this train!  Of course, I would have to paint and weather it and so forth to get it to a real-looking battle worn appearance, but they are quite cool!  I know nothing of the story, but those gun cars are kinda awesome (says the kid in my who still makes explosion sounds in his head when he sees this sort of thing).

Martijn Meerts
You should get the Galaxy Express TV version, it comes with the guncar =)

Okay, I finally went and looked up what all this Galaxy Express stuff is all about....I have to say, I could have a lot of fun with an N scale version of this train!  Of course, I would have to paint and weather it and so forth to get it to a real-looking battle worn appearance, but they are quite cool!  I know nothing of the story, but those gun cars are kinda awesome (says the kid in my who still makes explosion sounds in his head when he sees this sort of thing).

I've seen several episodes of the TV series, and it's quite nice. Obviously it helps that it has trains in it ;)

MicroAce made models of both the movie and TV series version. The difference being that the movie version doesn't have the guncar. There's also been 2 releases of both sets, I believe the first release was without motor and was more a toy. The 2nd release is a fully functional train set. The C62 looks quite good in gunmetal grey actually ;)

You really can get anything on the Internet.  :grin

At 6 cm wide it seems a bit oversize for N, but careful placement away from anything to give it exact scale might let you get away with that.  Post photos when you've got Goji facing off against it.

ken

i think those dimensions are the box, and the box is a pretty big thing from the looks of it. if you look at the model in the guys hand in the video i posted you will see its closer to 1/144. the tractor unit is also larger than large tanks are in the movies, so im hoping it will be w/in reason!

thanks quintopia for putting me onto the idea of a maser cannon! i have picked up a few tanks and trucks as well so sometime we may have a decent battle scene on the jrm layout! goji has become just a hit on the layout i doubt we will ever be with out him! i hope i can get the new 22" tall one built for the cherry blossom festival this spring, we shall see, thats going to be a lot of painting and also have to form the vinyl sections well in hot water and fit them all...

cheers

jeff

thanks quintopia for putting me onto the idea of a maser cannon! i have picked up a few tanks and trucks as well so sometime we may have a decent battle scene on the jrm layout! goji has become just a hit on the layout i doubt we will ever be with out him! i hope i can get the new 22" tall one built for the cherry blossom festival this spring, we shall see, thats going to be a lot of painting and also have to form the vinyl sections well in hot water and fit them all...

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!  PLEASE!  :grin

Quin,

will do when they start showing up! probably a couple of weeks, just paid for the maser canon order! tanks are in the air. decided to cheat on the tanks and get things that look close and just rebrand as JDF tanks. to try and get the prototypical ones was going to get very expensive! hey they ultimately get crushed anyway!

Im sure you could have some fun in your city scene with tanks coming down the streets to fire on goji!

cheers

jeff