The most perfect japanese layout I've seen to date!

grumbeast

If anyone has that issue would it please be possible to scan (and post) the article?

As I was googling for the issue number (keywords: miba japan kiha modellbahn dampflok), I accidentally found a PDF of the whole issue...

That would be this FTP link, right? The article starts on page 47.

I don't read German, but from the photos it looks like a "transition era" layout, with both steam passenger trains and Kiha's.

Very beautiful work.

One thing that the eye sees but the brain is a little slow to recognise is that everything is in flat finish. Nothing is 'out-of-the-packet' glossy. This is a huge undertaking and a big risk for a modeller but the final effect is to project a totally realistic look.  One more thing for this modeller and me, eventually, maybe, is to put passengers in the coaches. Nothing is as unconvincing as an empty passenger train scooting round the layout.

Angus

Martijn Meerts

One thing that the eye sees but the brain is a little slow to recognise is that everything is in flat finish. Nothing is 'out-of-the-packet' glossy. This is a huge undertaking and a big risk for a modeller but the final effect is to project a totally realistic look.  One more thing for this modeller and me, eventually, maybe, is to put passengers in the coaches. Nothing is as unconvincing as an empty passenger train scooting round the layout.

Angus

You obviously haven't seen the 13 car passenger trains that run twice an hour close to where I live, which are indeed as good as empty except during rush hours (in which case they might be half full ;))

It's a problem with super-detailing though, the moment you start adding all the little things, the non-weathered trains will start sticking out like sore thumbs. Weather them, and you start noticing they're all empty. Add passengers, and you'll probably start noticing something else (or just get annoyed by the fact that the passengers are always the same people in the same seats ;))