Lighting kits? Kato.

Ralphee

Guy's

Need some input here. I want to light my N500, and Mangattan Liner II. Ive looked at the Kato LED kits, and want to jump on them (not literally lol) but im wondering what they are like to fit?

Do i have to solder them in, or are they a drop in unit, im struggling to find info on fitting them, just so i can get the job in my head i guess, sorry for the very newcomer type Q, but yes, im very new to all this.

Did get to rig up a test track the other day from my V11, ran the N500, very smooth compared to the Farish i used to have years ago, very smooth indeed.

lee

As long as the set is advertised on Kato's site as accepting them (almost everything does), then it requires no tools to install them*.

Generally installation is:

* Remove shell

* Attach reflective strip to interior ceiling (it has an adhesive back). For lead cars or short cars you may need to cut it (use anything to cut them)

* Snap in plastic light tube. On all the models that accept them, there are small notches to hold it place. On some lead/short cars you'll need to shorten it - you can twist/bend off segments very easily.

* Assemble LED unit by inserting LED board with contacts into plastic holder (3 tabs hold it in). If simulating older lights, insert filter.

* Insert the pair of brass strips into the base of the car (I bend them midway a bit to enhance pickup)

* Insert assembled LED unit into slot on bottom of car, where brass strips come up

* Replace shell and run

*If you want to use the orange filters to make the LEDs look like older lights you'll need a sprue cutter or hobby knife to cut them off the sprue they come on.

I have some photos of an install of these on an E231 on my site (about halfway down the page):

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/SumidaCrossing/DCCandLights.html

I haven't installed in a series 500 Shinkansen, but I will mention that those are harder to get the body off of than most of the Kato commuter trains, as there is an under-body piece that connects to the upper part, and has to be carefully separated.

Here are a couple of picture showing the kit next to an E231 and the installed system.

post-264-13569926972474_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569926972867_thumb.jpg