Any thoughts on Tomix's forthcoming Power Unit (N400) ??

Hobby Dreamer

Hobby Dreamer

Hi Guys...

Tomix is about to release a new Power Unit and tram loop combo:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10136551

Its not clear what this unit does (e.g. power lights or DCC etc) but there are a few threads on Tomix Power Units that voice some concerns with Kato/DCC etc.

My questions are:

1) Can this be used in Canada? It says:

"For running 0 ~ 8.5V, TCS output connection point of the control box switches ※ Built-in two-point operations are not allowed."

- but that means nothing to me !?!?!?!?

2) Would this unit have momentum or equivalent, based on similar units and your experience/knowledge.

3) are there any caveats/concerns?  Is this worth getting?

I am thinking about going Tomix Tram track as a test track. Tomix track seems ideal for tram yards or freight yards, anyway, and the tight radii is good for other apps such as those Peter Witt trams that just came out. I wont be doing DCC. I'm actually thinking about having independent loops until we get turnouts so this will minimize operation hassles. As such an extra power unit can come in handy!

Thanks

Rick

This is the same power unit that comes with the mini-curve starter set. It has no advanced features like momentum, and in fact is under powered (8.5V instead of 12V). While it can power some full sized trains, it is really targeted at TomyTec powered units. It has 2 built in ports for plugging in Tomix switches, but has no connector for attaching more Tomix blue switchboxes.

This is really meant as a beginner/TomyTec controller.

Hobby Dreamer
This is really meant as a beginner/TomyTec controller.

Thanks David!  I was contemplating this unit since it seemed a Tomix controller would be simple for installation for Tomix tram track provided it had some features beyond the basic..

If it had momentum or the ability to power supply accessories then it might have been worth it..

Always get good info here at JNS!!

Thanks

Rick

Description here, at the very bottom, which puts things into English:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/control/TomixControlSystems.htm

Since there is no "CL" in the name, it does not have the Tomix constant lighting 12V high-frequency pulses, just ordinary DC power. A friend in my club has one and it works fine. The max of 9 volts or so is enough for adequate speed for almost any trains or trams. If you are concerned about the difference between 100 VAC input in Japan and 120 VAC in Canada, you might want to power it through a small 120 to 100 AC converter.

Rich K.

• Like 2

If you are concerned about the difference between 100 VAC input in Japan and 120 VAC in Canada, you might want to power it through a small 120 to 100 AC converter.

I've read Rich's article (linked above) on the various Tomix controllers, but am wondering if I need to be:

"concerned about the difference between 100 VAC input in Japan and 120 VAC in"

the U.S. ? 

His phrasing leaves it unclear if this is really necessary or not.

Some controllers have an input range of 100V to 120V, some 100V to 240V. The ones that are fixed 100V would output 120/100*12=14.4V instead of 12V and considered not really up to US safety standards.

this isnt exact, but the power pack with inturnal power supplies are 100V, and the powerpacks with exturnal power supplies are 100-240V

That seems to be right. Remember that Tomix, unlike Kato, does not make power supplies for export to other countries, so their stated specs are Japan-only, which leaves it unclear what their actual input voltage range might be. I tend to be conservative and use a 120 to 100 volt converter with my older N-1000 units. Other people have written that they run Tomix packs, even older ones, on North American 120 volt power with no issues. Either way, I tend to unplug the pack (and the converter if one is in use) when I am not running the trains.(Neither has U.S. "Underwriters Lab" approval.)

I also like to point out the converter to on-lookers and tell them that I am actually running on "Japanese power." It seems to impress them!  :)

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb

seems the newer tomix powerpacks are being designed for the international market.

N-600 unit

JP and US plug only, other markets will need plug convertor, is 100-240V input

post-1782-0-84623100-1410062193_thumb.jpg

N-WL10-CL wireless unit

cord plug so changable to any market, is 100-240V input 

post-1782-0-73449600-1410062225_thumb.jpg

N-1001-CL

again uses similar power supply as above unit, but cannot find any pics of specs on power supply.  it does say in the description that it has a switching regulator, so should be 100-240V input also.  again has a cord plug, so changable to any market.

so there is no need for power convertors nowadays.

on a side note, the wireless units seem like a good kit with the points controllers and power adjustor features available.

Edited by katoftw

Just had a quick look at the cosmic stuff also.  some of their range is also 100-240V 50/60Hz.  Digitrax is the same.

So it is really only Kato that is falling behind in the avenue of supplying a power adaptor/supply that works for an international market.