Euroliner

Guest ___

I have an Euroliner DD51, and am trying to figure out what to run it with. I have never seen any of the passenger cars run with this consist. Anyone know what the fate of this unit was, and whether it ran with freight?

The DD51 in Euroliner colors were based in the Nagoya area, and were originally painted to match the Euroliner train (12 series stock) based out of Mino Oota Rolling Stock Center.  But actually there seem to be relatively few pictures of these locos pulling this train, the Euroliner train mainly is seen behind electric locomotives.  According to Wikipedia, the last DD51 to have these colors was scrapped in 2007. The Euroliner DD51 are seen hauling mainly 12 series and 14 series coaches, I haven't seen any freight trains in a preliminary search.

Pics of DD51 on the front of the Euroliner train.

On the Kansai Main Line:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/silkroad_7152/gallery/04winter/2000-2001/20010114182-euro-kabuto.jpg

On the Takayama Line:

http://www.jnr-photo.com/DD51/dd51592a.JPG

Near Une Station, Sanyo Main Line:

http://pic.brilliant.dnsalias.com/joyfull6/Dscn0376.jpg

Looks like HobbySearch sells both the 4 and 7 car sets. Not sure how I feel about the price of the set though. I might just buy the cheaper set at some point. Was this a joyful train then? Normally, I would not go for such an unusal train, but the price on the engine was pretty good, and I wanted a DD51.

my question would have been how does she sound?

my kiha 130 is a noisy beast i'm hoping to avoid other kihas using same motor need to find out what it's using though.

having said that i still like the kiha 130 i would definately like to improve the insides of the cars with detail as it lights up but no passengers or anything.

To be hohnest I don't like the look of those cars either sorry to ruin your euroliner experience.

I don't care for how the Euroliner livery looks either, but  am a fan of... unusual train sets, and I got the DD51 at a decent price. Sadly I haven't run her yet cause my tracks needs a massive cleaning, and plan to test her thoroughly at the GSMT the club is attending in a few weeks.  Truth be known after the Growly incident, I have a particular hatred towards Tomix and swore I'd never buy another one. It was hell to get my DE10 running again. I really wanted a KiHa 40 that Tomix released but decided against it as it uses the same worm-spring drive mechanism as the DE10 does. I expect that the DD51 will have the same motor as the KiHa 40 using the M4 motor.(My DE10 is nicked Growly cause it is so bloody loud)

how do you tell what it's using the tomix site does not say

i think my 130 has growly too or i just got a bad one not sure. it is definately louder than my e231 suburban train, thomas and my 800 series 3 car shinkansen i havn't got a change to use my kiha 110 (kato) yet as i don't want to touch track till i get it on board don't want to wear connections too much

Martijn Meerts

I don't think Kato has ever used the worm spring drive, and it seems not common (luckily) on Tomix locomotives either. Out of all the rolling stock I have, only 1 Tomix loco has a spring drive. Mine isn't all that noisy, but it doesn't run very smooth, and it has lousy pulling power.

As for how to tell, you can't really tell unless you have access to the manual/spare parts list. The spare parts list will list the number of a replacement motor, which you can then look up in the catalog.

how do you tell what it's using the tomix site does not say

i think my 130 has growly too or i just got a bad one not sure. it is definately louder than my e231 suburban train, thomas and my 800 series 3 car shinkansen i haven't got a change to use my kiha 110 (kato) yet as i don't want to touch track till i get it on board don't want to wear connections too much

I learned a lot about the M4-M6 motor drive systems though a lot of research, both from other folks on here, and from my friends in Japan who are both native and can read/speak Japanese. During the Growly Incident, I learned real quick which models used that nightmarish worm drive system real quick so I knew how to avoid running in to it again. I never learn from my mistakes buying the DD51. If you ever need a worm-drive mech to fix the Tomix, talk to Jeff, he learned Growly inside and out.

Still as far as I know only the DD51, DE10, KiHa 40 use this goofy drive mechanism. I was a bit surprised to hear the KiHa 40 used it.

If people know of Tomix units that have the "spring" drive, send me a message offline with the product numbers and names, and I'll start a list of them on the trainweb Tomix webpage for the benefit of all. Thanks!

Rich K.

Martijn Meerts

I have 3 Tomix DD51s, none of them use the worm spring mechanic. All 3 of them are of the "High Grade" variant though, that might have to do something with it.

If people know of Tomix units that have the "spring" drive, send me a message offline with the product numbers and names, and I'll start a list of them on the trainweb Tomix webpage for the benefit of all. Thanks!

Rich K.

Actually, we could use it on the wiki. We imported a lot of prototype info, but the real goal of our wiki was a comprehensive database of the models.

I just tried to dig out the box for my Tomix stuff. I do not keep my trains in jewel cases but rather book cases. All the jewel cases with the pn are buried at the moment and requires moving a lot of junk. I want to say Growly was 2204 and the DD51 is 2207.

For those who are not familiar with the Growly saga and it's internal drive: http://www.vdweerdt.nl/manuals/tomix/2207.html

Hi

I just wanted to say that I have a couple of the DE10's with worm drive and 8 such DD51s (2 blue ones on my Twilight Express, another blue one assigned to track maintenance, one white for my Euroliner and the the reds for general freight .  Although they are not very responsive at crawl speeds, I have not experienced the problems that you mention. 

The worm mechanism is not free running so it is important not to put downward pressure on the loco if positioning it on the track.  Although you are unlikely to strip gears, such pressure I feel is not going to help in the long term. 

So there are some good ones out there, but their time has past and its good to see more responsive drives being developed.

Regards

Bob

Martijn Meerts

Marjin? I assume you have the newer version of the unit. I had heard that the newer DD51's were getting a better drive.

I have a 2216 and 2x 2218. While they do have a worm wheel drive, they use a regular worm wheel, not a spring like for example the DD54 that comes in the cleaning car set.

It seems that most of the issues I have had heard on the yahoo group last year tended to be along the lines with the spring units such as Growly. Personally, I am waiting for some sort of sonic propulsion method. I find theoretical propulsion systems used in star Trek to be way under utilized in Japanese model railroading. I think I should write Kato and or Tomix to something of that effect. (Maybe someday I'll own something by MicroAce)

Rich K.

I have added a page to the Tomix Modelers' website that shows the "Spring Worm" drive, describes it, and lists all product numbers that I could find for individual locos and powered cars (including set numbers) that had this drive:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/rollingstock/springdrive.htm

As part of the research, I did search this forum for references to this drive, and the only lead I could not confirm was Aaron's mention of a KiHa 40 with M4 motor and this drive. I'm not familiar enough with Japanese prototypes to know if this also goes by another name, but I could not find a reference to any Tomix product number for this series. My thanks to those here that responded with information.

The bottom line is that the "Spring Worm" drive is now mostly gone from the Tomix product line, except for a number of those cute private railway passenger trains, the Class 193/192 inspection train, and two specific electric locos. But they remain inside older stock, including those being sold second-hand and on auction sites, so the list should be useful for that purpose.

For what it's worth, all of the Tomix trains with this drive that I have personally seen run well enough. But I would rather have an improved drive, given the choice!

NOTE: Please reply in the "N Gauge" section, under the new "Tomix Spring Worm' Drive topic, not here. Thanks!

Rich K.

Think I found a Euroliner ^_^ Interesting to note the video was shot with a Vistaquest 1005 camera which I have owned but never tried to use in video mode because of how it likes to die with a fully charged battery. at random