Width of Kato Overhead Transit Station

Darklighter

Hi,

How wide is the Kato Overhead Transit Station (23-122) including the expansion set (for 4 tracks / 2 island platforms)?

I think that's probably right.  The minimum width across two platforms and four tracks is 20 cm.  I built mine without the outside stair modules (mine's on a viaduct station, and I'm pretending it is reached from below by elevator).  I can't find the stairs to measure, but I think they do add about 4cm each.

Guest Closed Account 1

Got a good question.

Do Viaduct Stations and ground level stations exist on the same grounds?  Or is it one or the other?

I was watching "Last Train Home", and thought I saw a Viaduct station in the background of the first station scene.

There are stations that have both ground and elevated platforms, if that's what you're asking.  The one's I'm familiar with are where two (or more) different lines cross or terminate without connecting. I believe Shinjuku is one example. Another is Otsuka Station, which has the Toden Arakawa tram line at street level below the elevated Yamanote line.

Guest Closed Account 1

Ken and Tenorikuma:

Yes, I was searching for pictures online but could not see the levels very well. Thanks for the station links.

My original Ntrak plan can become a reality. A mix of stations and lines, with a trolley in the background.

Thanks for the link. I favor the 4 tracks & 2 island platforms layout (bottom-left). If the drawing is correct, the station is approx. 28 cm wide. That would be 5 cm wider than I expected.  :sad:

Also, the standard Viaduct Station structure is how wide? 100mm? The standard passing set V1 measures about 94mm wide.

A viaduct station segment is just a hair under 100mm wide.  Each side, however, adds about 5mm of floor before the sides, so the total width of one section with walls is almost exactly 109mm between the walls. This gives you good clearance outside the track for wide trains.

The V15 set has an overall length of 1364mm according to an image of the spec sheet shown on the HS page, however that would make a very small station.  I think it would have just two 248mm sections per platform under the station (made using 23-107), plus the two ends (23-109 set). That's probably enough for a three-car train.

Depending on the length of the train you want to serve, you need to add more 248mm straight tracks (which aren't available separately in the concrete-tie version used in the V15 set yet) and matching island platforms (23-107 or similar).

For a stub-end station, you can eliminate the 372mm of the far end track, and just end the tracks with a bumper at the end of the platform, so total length would be just under a meter.

I used to have one of these sized for 6-car EMU trains, and it was about 2.2 meters long if I recall correctly. But I used #6 switches rather than the special track, which I think gave me a longer platform in less space using the curve-end older platforms that nestle into the fork of the switch.

Krackel Hopper

Depending on the length of the train you want to serve, you need to add more 248mm straight tracks (which aren't available separately in the concrete-tie version used in the V15 set yet) and matching island platforms (23-107 or similar).

The Kato 20-875 set is the "extension kit" for the V15 and includes 4x 248mm pieces of the concrete tie variety.

The Hobby Search photo is of concrete double-track, but from the description below and because it is considered an "extension" set I can only assume they are saying 4 single-track 248mm pieces in the concrete tie design.

• Like 1