Kato V14...HELP!

Ralphee

Hey guys

First post, and im already on the ask lol. OK, decided to take the plunge, and begin my quest. Ive bought a Kato V14 (space is a big problem at home, to many hobbies lol) and a couple of controllers.

Now, i want to run a Shinkansen first and foremost (who doesnt) and im a bit worried on my buy now, as im reading 315mm radius is the bare minimum for her to run, the inner 282, is it really too tight a turn?

Ive got my eye on my Shinkansen, but, if i cant run a second Shinkansen, on the inner track, can any of you kind gents recomend me an ideal Kato/Tomix loco, to run on the 282?

Anyhoo, made my post in a rush as im about to jet to work, but ill explain more about my plans later, basically, im looking at a fully modular layout, laid down on painted "city" style acrylic 12" tiles, kinda like the KATO Centram set, but home made.

Itll keep me from my Star wars modelling for a while, the set came today, wow, really amazing stuff, im 12 years old again!

bests.......Lee

• Like 1

Hey Lee!

I'm back from a hiatus from the board but wanted to say Hi!.  Your question about Radius is better answered by others, but I'm thinking that the e3 or 400 series mini-shinkansens have a much shorter wheelbase that the longer more traditional ones.  I run an e3 Akita Shinkansen on my small door layout and I think the inside curve there are 282s  I'll check for you.  If that is the case you could run 2 shinkansen.  Your other question, a recommendation, man thats a hard one, how long is a piece of string.  When I got into Japanese railways a few years ago, I started with Shinkansen, but there are SO MANY other fantastic trains, limited expresses, commuter and suburban trains, freight and loco-hauled passenger stuff.  I guess for my money, something pointy and shinkansen looking like a series 885 Kamone, I don't have one mind!

Good luck

Graham

Graham, thanks for writing in sir, and thanks for the welcome. OK, as for the Shinkansen im set on, its the Tomix 92206 200 series. Its only a three car set for now, but itll get me rolling, and should run fine, on the 315mm?

As for a second Loco, if i cant run a secondary Shinkansen, i quite fell in love with the EF65, maybe that would be a good second best on a Bullet?

Its early days for me, still SOOO much to learn, but ill get there slowly, just looked at the 885, very pretty, hmm, but after Shinkansens, i kinda like the more rustic, older looking Locos....hence, the Shinkansen i fell in love with, is an older, more distinct model.

bests......lee

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

While it is not for everyone, there is a way to run full size bullet trains with minimal space and radii.

The world of the Bandai B-Train Shorty.

These trains can run on 140mm radius curves (some can handle the 103mm) and as the name states they are "short" so while a full 16 car N scale bullet would be roughly 8ft in length, a full 16 car B-Train Shorty is going to be maybe 4ft.. preventing the "chasing your tail" appearance on something like a V14..

Full 16 Car 0 Series & 700 Series

More full 16 car sets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRNbK8CqAk&NR=1

If you are interested and want more info, there is a thread here:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,377.0.html

Welcome to the boards!

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

It's always a bit difficult with the shinkansen, some run through smaller radius curves, some don't. I've had Kato's 800 series run through 243mm radius curves without derailing, but it sure doesn't look good. I also have shinkansen that seem to even have problems with the minimum radius curves though ;)

The sheet with my Kato E3 says R249 is the minimum.  My Kato 500 Series says R315.

And welcome to the board. We all enjoy answering questions, so feel free to ask.

Guys, thank you for the responses, TBH, the search engine is always a good option....DOH lol!

To be on the safe side, ive just bought a V11 set, and, ended up popping for a Kato N500 to start myself off, at least now with the V11, should i get any radi problems with V14's 282 inner line, i can remedy it, without the Shinkansen sitting at me in a bad mood, 'cos she cant go play lol.

Soon as i kick the whole process off, id love to share it with you fella's, my two younger boys, are chomping at the bit.....as its for the boys...honest  :laugh:

Now, i have a long task, of drawing up skyscraper plans.....seeing as im a modeler first.....i really want to do a fictional, large Tamiya building...this, is going to get expensive.

bests.......lee