How much space does your hobby(ies) take ?

Hobby Dreamer

Hobby Dreamer

How much space does this hobby or other hobbies take ?

Space is as large a concern as expense for me anyway...

Right now I have no layout (waiting to see what tram track will be available so I can estimate a table top size); but all my vehicles (trains + traction + road vehicles) fit in a wooden tool box; plus I have some structures in a Rubbermaid box or 2.

I have two 2' x 5' work benches to use as a layout (maybe an L-shape) plus an Ikea fold-away dining table about the same size. Hoping not to use all of this.

How much space are you using or planning to use for a layout(s)?

How much storage space do you now need/have?

When I started with the EasyTrolley / EasyTram idea (temporary setups) in N scale, I used a folding-leg 2.5 x 6 foot table and everything (track, trolleys, controls, buildings) fit in two "copier paper" corrugated boxes for storage and transport:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/ET/ETsetup.htm

ETsetup9.jpg

Actually the majority of the box space was required for the buildings...

Of course, the number of boxes of "stuff" has grown since then. The boxes are free and very practical to handle and store.

Rich K.

I have two 30" x 60" hobby tables which can be bolted together to form a 2.5' x 10' layout.  Right now I have a train table (which is in need of serious layout work) and a tram table which will move ahead as soon as my Tomix Wide Tram Rail crossovers arrive.  Other minor work is either done on the dining room table or on a small table in an odd corner.

Both tables are on small casters and designed for under table storage (which is where most of my buildings have been for the last year). Both tables are in the living room of my condo.  I split the two tables within the last month so I could have two distinct small layouts.  I also have a storage cabinet full of train cases (two boxes of HO alone and a plastic case with O scale tram stuff), other boxes and stock piled small items.

My first "layout" was on two small pieces of very thin plywood which I brought home from Tokyu Hands on the subway in Tokyo.  Probably not more that 1 square meter. The next one was about 18" X 4', followed by one of 3' X 6'.  Now I'm up to 12' X 13', plus an 8' t-trak shelf.  In general I have found that the "stuff" which accumulates fits easily under the layout. The bigger the layout, the more stuff. But then, I am not a "collector" of trains - I have almost everything I own out on the layout. 

Great topic, because most of us have had this problem!

My present layout is an "E" shaped layout that measures 12'x16' and the middle of the "E" has an extension table that is 2'x4'. One of the restrictions I have is a support beam in the middle of the basement which I had to build around.

Well, the layout itself is 16' x 4', with about a 2' aisle on each side. Beyond that is one set of 1.5' x 5' utility shelves about half used for layout-related stuff (mostly trains, but also some power strips and stored vehicles).  Most of my not-in-use stuff (buildings, scenic details, etc) are in tubs and shelving under the layout.

Then there's the workbench space, an "L" about 6' wide with each leg about 12' long wrapped around one end of the layout.  That contains the workbench, tool storage, the airbrush spray booth, band and miter saws, more layout supplies, and another set of utility shelves (these 2' x 4') full of a mix of tools and layout construction supplies (paint, WS risers, scenic scatter, etc).  That space gets used for things other than hobby purposes,  but it's mostly used for the layout.

At the moment about half my coffee table is dedicated to DCC decoder installs (which mostly means a pile of components and half-completed cars, sitting on an anti-static mat).

That doesn't count books.  Prototype and model RR books have a bookcase of their own (and it's mostly full), and there are boxes of old Model Railroader and other magazines tucked away in closets and other places.

Been away a while, but now I'm back!  This is a great question and timely as I'm considering a move back from Canada to the UK

I was going to converting 1/2 my office, about a 12'x 4' space, but thats on hold, so currently I have a 3'x6'6 door that I have a small double track oval and fiddle yard on.  The space required is more than just the layout mind you, as I have many building, the trains themselves, the track I'll need for my bigger dream layout, scenic materials etc etc.  So plan on storage for all of that stuff too.  What I hope to ultimately do is to build the storage under whatever layout I end up with.

Oh yeah, and as Ken says, books... lots of books.  And finally for me, I inherited a large S-scale American Flyer collection that filled what was going to be my railway room with shelves and boxes (anyone know anyone who wants to buy a bunch of American Flyer!.. seriously!)

Graham

Trains/trams Big stack of boxes in the corner . Baesboards 1 off 24"square, 1 off 36"x8"currently.  and a 48" x 48". Z gauge at my mums house c/w a collection of 14 double stack container wagons.

Other hobby - 2 parking spaces outside. :cool:

You know the real question is not how much space do I have, but how much space do I want.    :cheesy You don't even want to go there.  :laugh:

• Like 2
Mudkip Orange

Ideally?

More space then I've ever had in any apartment I've lived, more money than I've earned at any job I've yet been employed.

I'm currently living in a basement suite and have been graciously given free reign in the shared workshop room to build a layout.  I have a 96"x36" table and all my supplies and bits are stored in some shelves under it.  I also use the totally not flat and slightly bendy lid of the deep-freeze as a work-table...  I don't have a whole train-room like many seem to, but I feel blessed with the space I have.

I'm currently living in a basement suite and have been graciously given free reign in the shared workshop room to build a layout.  I have a 96"x36" table and all my supplies and bits are stored in some shelves under it.  I also use the totally not flat and slightly bendy lid of the deep-freeze as a work-table...  I don't have a whole train-room like many seem to, but I feel blessed with the space I have.

I use the dining room table as a work table.

I have a 4' x 8' table in my basement for my trains.  I also have some HO stuff stored under another table down there; my N trains don't take up much space at all (I only have two).

I have other hobbies too... I have three guitars that take up I guess as much space as guitars do (two hang on the wall, one is on a stand in the dining room), plus a little amp and some pedals.

My biggest space-eater hobby is video games... I collect old games and systems.  I have a large shelving unit in our second bedroom that's filled with classic systems, then I have some spillover into other bedrooms and our living room.  I have games on shelves and in plastic crates all around the house.  I have boxes for my systems up in the attic - they take up about half the attic.  (I generally only buy systems with the box.)  I've actually basically stopped buying anything game-related and have contemplated selling all of it because of the space issue - I think my collection is probably worth about $5,000 or even more.  Selling it would make a nice dent in progressing on my train layout :)

I have very little space other than the 2'x6' work table in my home office. Half of it is occupied by my Unitram layout, which is purely for playing around with. I'm planning eventually to maybe fit a long, narrow layout against the wall.