tomix remote turnout question

keitaro

Quick question. Currently only have manual points will upgrade in future to remote one for my layout.

If I upgrade to the remote ones can they be used manually till I sort out the wiring?

Yes. The solenoid (electromagnet) mechanism on both the Kato and Tomix turnouts is such that it doesn't interfere with throwing the turnout manually - throwing the switch electrically just uses magnets to "pull" the piece that has the plastic nub in the right direction, in place of pushing the nub with your finger.

This assumes we are talking about modern 2 wire Tomix/Kato turnouts ("Fine" track for Tomix), and not the old 3 wire turnouts. I do not know the specifics of the 3 wire AC turnouts Tomix used to sell.

Quick question. Currently only have manual points will upgrade in future to remote one for my layout.

If I upgrade to the remote ones can they be used manually till I sort out the wiring?

With Tomix, you do not need to upgrade by purchasing remote points. Instead, for Fine Track, you purchase just the electric remote unit (Tomix #0107) and upgrade your points:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10032058

Slide the manual unit out from underneath the points, then slide in the electric remote unit and you have remote points. The manual unit is actually the same as the electric one, except that Tomix has not wound magnet wire onto the steel poles and attached a wire cable. One member of the Tomix Yahoo discussion group has even "wound his own" by adding the magnet wire and leads to manual units, saving even more money. Whether the manual or the electric remote unit is installed in the points, you can throw the points manually. I buy manual Tomix "Mini" points (in track set #91082 "MB") because I like the flexibility to insert an electric unit only when I want to. That way I don't have wires hanging around alongside the track when I don't need them.

You can't just remove the electric unit and have no unit under the points -- the design counts on the permanent magnet sticking to the steel pole pieces to prevent the points from flopping around loosely.

Rich K.