Which train would you like to see a decoder install how-to for?

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

We have several people here who are good at installing decoders. We also have some people who want to install their own decoders, but aren't sure where to start or who are stuck at some point along the line. Personally, I have a rather large amount of trains which are still analog, and since my goal is to make all of them digital sooner or later, it doesn't really matter in which order I install. My idea was, that people here who want to see a decoder install in 1 of the trains I own can let me know, and I'll install decoders in those trains first. That way I feel more motivated to actually go ahead and install decoders, and at the same time help others on the forum with their installs.

One thing to not is that I practically only use Lenz Silver Mini+ decoders these days, because they're small, functional and decently prices. I also always do wired install, no drop-in stuff, I just had too many problems with those. With regards to function decoders I'm a bit uncertain. I've used Uhlenbrock decoders so far because of their size, but programming them is annoying if all you hook up are LEDs. I'm ordering some ESU Lokpilot FX Micro's soon (they have railcom, so they might actually return success/failure when programmed using PoM), and I also need to get my hands on some bipolar function decoders for a bunch of the MicroAce MU's, they seem to like using dual color LEDs.

Anyway, a PDF of my trains can be found here: http://www.jr-chiisai.net/_div/trains_temp/trains.pdf . Some already have decoders installed, but it's really only a small percentage. Not all of the items are locomotives btw, but I guess you would've noticed that anyway =)

Hey Martijn,

Unfortunately we don't have much rolling stock in common, so I can't put in a request.  I just wanted to let you know that I'm green with envy that you're the proud owner of the Tomix 0-2000 Sanyo Shinkansen ... and the 20th Century Memorial Set too ... lucky, lucky, lucky you!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

Hey Martijn,

Unfortunately we don't have much rolling stock in common, so I can't put in a request.  I just wanted to let you know that I'm green with envy that you're the proud owner of the Tomix 0-2000 Sanyo Shinkansen ... and the 20th Century Memorial Set too ... lucky, lucky, lucky you!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

No need for envy really... I got lucky on the 20th century memorial set actually. I first noticed it (and the 100 series last run set) up at newhallstation for a silly price. I still tried to order it there though, but turned out that even though they listed they had one in stock, they didn't. About a week later, the guy who runs Japan Model Railways in Germany sent me an email that he got both the 0 series 20th century set and the 100 series last run set from a private collector who wanted to get rid of them. Needless to say, I bought them both ;)

They look great, but they're old tooling. The motors are pretty noisy, and the shell is pretty flimsy at certain parts.

As for the 0-2000, I've been having some issues with the power conducting couplers they've used. Sometimes it seems they're not aligned well, which means coupling certain cars is problematic. Once you get them coupled up, they're so tight, that the imitation diaphragm things basically just bind the entire train. I have the same problem with other Tomix trains using the power conducting couplers, but not as bad as on the 0 series.. Haven't checked if there's an easy fix for that yet though.