Wakamatsu Municipal Tramway

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

By any chance someone has info about the Wakamatsu Municipal Tramway? This was a freight-only street-running operation in Wakamatsu (now part of KitaKyushu) serving industries along the harbour. I used to have a link to apage bout it but I lost it. I'm looking for the track layout and a customer list, if possible.

Cheers NB

CaptOblivious

Well, now Kato's freight "pocket line" set makes a lot more sense—it always seemed the odd one out, but all of the pocket line sets are trams! I did not know that.

I'm liking this topic very much! It gives off so much inspiration and an excuse to have huge gaps for point tongues where cars could get stuck in.

Thanks Bikkuri Bahn for the links as they provided information on the Ashiya Branch which closed in 1962 approx.

Until now I could not find any info on this line that ran from Ongagawa.

Ongagawa was also the junction for the Muroki branch worked by 8620 class and then DE10. Thanks to the links it would appear the Ashiya branch was also worked by 8620s.

The photos show the interchange between the Wakamatsu Municipal Tramway and JNR(JR) as well as street running. A definite opportunity for using the Kato Pocket Line loco as well as the Tomytec Bo Bo electric locos from Collection No.1

Thanks again for the links

Thanks BB - any chance of translating the map itself? I guess there isn't any chance of finding a track plan short of writing to the city authorities (and I doubt that I would get any reply doing so in English...  :sad:).

Wakamatsu is very interesting because AFAIK it is the closest thing Japan had to what in the US is called "trolley freight". It is eminently modellable using Tomix track components (thus the interest).

Cheers NB

I made a trip down the branch to Wakamatsu in September and took some photos of the forlorn looking 9600 in the park near the station but looking at some of these photos I was a few decades too late.

Thanks BB - any chance of translating the map itself? I guess there isn't any chance of finding a track plan short of writing to the city authorities (and I doubt that I would get any reply doing so in English...  :sad:).

Wakamatsu is very interesting because AFAIK it is the closest thing Japan had to what in the US is called "trolley freight". It is eminently modellable using Tomix track components (thus the interest).

Cheers NB

... and if you look at the track spacing in one photo in the blog link above, it looks as wide as that of Tomix track, which people keep finding objectionable and unrealistic. There IS a prototype for everything. Bill has also provided views of similar spacing on tram tracks in Japanese streets.

That's a great little electric loco. Does this mean we need to cram 8-wheel Kato B-shorty chassis into our Pocket Line / Chibi steeplecabs?

Rich K.

Cheers NB

That's a great little electric loco. Does this mean we need to cram 8-wheel Kato B-shorty chassis into our Pocket Line / Chibi steeplecabs?

Rich K.

Better to opt for an Arumodel kit.

Cheers NB

Thanks BB - any chance of translating the map itself?

I'll try when I have some time.  Anyway, the website mentions the railway has a one scene role in a b/w 1963 movie called "ookami no ooji" (the wolf prince), which is set in Kita-Kyushu City.

more pics:

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/yokogogo/e/315bb6c7bf0da452dc2b3e44eca6d613

aerial view of Wakamatsu station area:

http://otchee.com/air/air_chikuhou_74.html