Ghan's Japan Trip 2011 - Planning Help - 2. Himeji Drum Festival

The_Ghan

Hi,

Does anyone know when the Himeji Sakura and Drum Festival is on this year?

Also ... Planning to be in Japan from March 26th to April 15th ... will we be in time for the cherry blossoms?

Cheers

The_Ghan

It depends on the weather conditions. A colder winter may mean a later spring and push back the blossom time. Last year, I shot cherry blossoms in Tokyo from about the 14th to 19th of March. It may have been earlier than usual. It would have been earlier in the south.

Sorry that I couldn't provide better news. Other might have better information.

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn

I assume if it's an annual event it'll be on this year too.  According to a flower viewing website, last year's event was held on April 3.  As spring comes closer, websites and TV weather reports start reporting the sakurazensen, or the progress of sakura blossoming beginning from the south towards the north and east of the archipelago.  As Himeji is located in the warmer Seto Inland Sea area, it tends to have flowers in full bloom earlier than say, Tokyo, though as gmat stated, it varies from year to year and the weather conditions.

I guess I'm going to have to take a punt.  I've also read that the castle is going to be renovated.  I may skip Himeji altogether as, knowing my luck, the cherry blossoms might well coincide with the construction of the scaffhold.  Picture-perfect - not !!!

Thanks anyway.

The_Ghan

There are spots in the mountains near Tokyo that should allow you to view cherry blossoms when you come to Japan. Tokyo is a hot spot so trees should blossom here sooner than in the nearby mountains.

Taken on Monday. My wife said peach blossoms shouldn't bloom for another month. But there could be many reasons why a tree blooms or not. Even if the wave has passed you by when you get here, there will be a few trees that will be blooming wherever you are.

Just before you come, people here should be able to give you a heads up on where to visit.

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant