Salt Lake Route

Guest Closed Account 1

As far as I know it is a package deal - a number of the items come in odd quantities that are not available in Kato's normal packaging, and there would be the track plan booklet/poster itself. It is certainly not something thrown together by individual dealers. Now in terms of physical packaging I would say that unless Kato has gone overboard it's probably packaged like the plate track set, with one big box containing several smaller white boxes (with spacers as needed to keep everything tight), each smaller box holding a stack of pieces in plastic wrap (the smaller boxes are sized so the parts can't tumble around during shipping). I doubt the set is packaged in the custom foam style of the variation sets (the box would be huge!)

Guest Closed Account 1

Without spending much more time on this One can save a few extra dollars by prurchasing the variation kits that contain the most pieces on the list.

I've broken down the list into M1, 3 X V1, V7, V11, V12 and lots of pieces that are cheaper to get ala carte. Maybe save $50 off the internet price of the whole Salt Lake Set.

Buying the individual sets you do end up with extra pieces.

V12

I don't think so. wink.gif

Well whatever, you break the list down.

My best guess would be:

V11, V7, 4 x V1 and the rest separate.

However, it depends on what you need other than track (turnout control switches, power pack?) and the prices...

V12 contains mainly viaduct track that isn't used. M1, M2, V9 (this would contain the left crossing), etc. include lots of 45° curve pieces that aren't used. 2x V3 would be an alternative to 2 of the V1 sets, but it comes with the wrong buffer stops.

Afaik the Salt Lake Route Set contains more track than actually needed (and so does the list in the 1zu160.net-forum) as it seems to simply consist of the regular blister packs.

Guest Closed Account 1

Yeah it well worth breaking down to see just what you are buying.

I found a guy selling his N Scale Kato trains and tracks for a reasonable price. Bargained a deal. 

I have plenty track for several Ntrak modules now. Over 70 9" single straights. Some banked turns.

The banked turns are too tight for Ntrak standards.