What was your first Japanese tram purchase?

bill937ca

Something similar to the first Japanese train purchased, but trams are not the focus for many people or so their choices may be very different.  When I purchased these I had no intention of purchasing any trains.  I had been attracted to Japanese trains by Tomix tram track to model trams, not trains    :laugh:   :cheesy I ordered from Hobby Search April 14, 2007 and Plaza Japan April 15, 2007 and haven't stopped spending since then. <sigh>

My first tram purchase was Modemo NT60, Setagaya 301, a modern articulated tram.  I quickly bought two of these from HWJ  to have a fleet!

10004969.jpg

Other early purchases were the Modemo NT18 and Modemo NT52, both Enoden trains. The Enoden is part tram and part railway like many Japanese interurban lines.

As an early Modemo articulated, the NT52 is not fond of going around tight curves. Life is such a bitch for a tram!  At times I think this set is not fond of going around any curves.  A straight, no chaser [no curve] tram? :violent1:

10046574a.jpg

The NT18 was a two car train pre-dating articulated cars on the Enoden

10025282.jpg

Mine was the Tosa Electric Railway Type 600 Tram Momotaro Dentestu 7. saw it on ebay and loved the fun graphics. still is one of my favorites and was able to pick up a second last year on ebay at a good price.

cheers

jeff

Mine were some Enoden Type 100s by Modemo in HO scale. They're generic enough to be good candidates for kitbashing.

Cheers,

Mark.

My first was the Keifuku Dentetsu Mobo Tupe 101 "Yuko Go", i.e. Modemo NT87.  Loved all the advertising on this tram!

My second one was the Modemo Mo3501 "Sala-Go"

And for Christmas this year....a Kato Portram! Whoohoo!

Hobby Dreamer

Nice post Bill..

Like any newbie I got the Portrams from Kato (motored) and Tomix (not motored) because trams are a great way to enter this hobby (space considerations) and because I love trams!

I first saw Japanese trains more than 20 years ago but N scale seemed limited then, still they were very cool !!

Trams just mean less track and less space. If they made turnouts then a tram layout would be like a small train layout. Trams are also great for a shelf layout or to add to a large train layout.

What is amazing is that the Japanese N scale trams are so much better than the HO counterparts!!  And a lot better than the N.A. N scale trams that have been kicking around for years...

I'm still holding out for turnouts and cross-overs because loops are boring... although I have been looking at Peco track (for the variety of track and availability) and thinking about using cardboard or plaster... It would be a shame to do so and then have a major release of tram track. 

Rich Kerr has done some amazing things with Tomix track, but I just don't like the wide spacing of this product.. 

The loop layout using Kato track and the train station is appealing but still its just a loop!

Finally, I love the price of Japanese product and that one can get non-motorized trams for static display.. A small tram yard and tram barn are still a great focal point and in N scale hardly takes any space!!

My (future) layout will have trams as the core but I may use viaducts etc to suggest a larger layout, as though for high speed trains...

A lot of layouts, such a many British ones, are just linear yards that exploit elevation to make them interesting. But all have turnouts even if the track disappears into tunnels that do not go anywhere... A linear layout is great for trams but even a non-working turnout would look cool....

Cheers

Rick

Nice post Bill..

...Trams just mean less track and less space. If they made turnouts then a tram layout would be like a small train layout. Trams are also great for a shelf layout or to add to a large train layout.

...I'm still holding out for turnouts and cross-overs because loops are boring... although I have been looking at Peco track (for the variety of track and availability) and thinking about using cardboard or plaster... It would be a shame to do so and then have a major release of tram track.  

Rich Kerr has done some amazing things with Tomix track, but I just don't like the wide spacing of this product...

The loop layout using Kato track and the train station is appealing but still its just a loop!...

Cheers

Rick

Thanks for the kind remark. Why not do a single-track tram line? You could go from stub terminal to stub terminal, stub terminal to loop and back, have a downtown circulator loop, or have single tracks on a pair of opposite-direction one-way streets. Then there is no wide track spacing to concern you.

Tomix has announced a 90-degree paved crossing, Kato is hinting at one, and it's easy to pave a Tomix Mini Points turnout using the 3079 tram accessories kit. We will see if Tomix eventually produces paved turnouts. I am more doubtful on Kato -- note that they call their paved straight track package the "Endless Expansion Set" which to me indicates a "endless loop"-based (or maybe a figure-eight) mentality on their part, otherwise they would sell track as "Straights" and "Curves."

You can also run your track along the side of the road or off-road for a while (behind houses and fenced back yards for instance), and place your turnouts and carhouse there. With Tomix track, in a few months from now, you will be able to use bus street sections to easily make paved traffic lanes on either side of a single paved tram track.

Oh... my first Japanese tram was the Modemo NT60 Setagaya articulated in "Tamaden" livery, like Bill's above. I liked the general retro paint scheme.

Rich K.

Hobby Dreamer
Why not do a single-track tram line?

Hi Rich;

I started my N scale venture about 10 years ago with some Kato track and 3 Arnold trams (they were the best around at the time). The loop of track was meant for trains so it was way too large for trams and after a few minutes it got quite boring!

So I would be bored with a point to point, at least until I have a layout with structures etc..  Based a bit on your CAD drawings, I always had an idea of a complex-looking tram layout with a lot of turnouts. For a while I thought of using single viaduct track for the trams and have them run elevated with elevated stations. That way, the whole "covering" part of the tram track was avoided.

I'm still hopeful that there will be at least a single turnout released although you had a CAD with a double turn-out that I quite liked. A layout is not a top priority right now and I have lost the "bug" somewhat. There was a ton of momentum for trams a year ago but its fading. I think everyone would like something like a turnout to add variety and save custom work. With my luck I will plaster a bunch of track only to have Tomix/Kato release the perfect product..

If you look at Bill's post with the tilt-shift image, the photo had a turnout and that looked quite cool. Its been said that there are no turnouts for Japanese prototype trams but, for trams, a turnout is a real focal point.

BTW, I just looked at those Arnold Trams, and although they are still quite nice, the Kato Portram is amazing!!!!!!!!!! 

Cheers

Rick

Well look at the Tomix Wide Tram Rail line.

These pieces have been available since September 2010.

1790 S70-WT (F)

1791 S140-WT (F)

1795 C103-30 WT and C103-60 WT (F)

1796 C140-30 WT and C140-60 WT (F)

1797 C177-30 WT and C177-60 WT (F)

These sets will be released during February 2011. The pieces will only be available in sets.

1798 S18.5 WT (F), S47.5 WT (F), S37 WT (F)

1799 X37-90 WT(F), S 18.5 WT (F), S37 WT (F), S47.5 WT (F)

When I typed this up today I noticed that there are several numbers missing in the sequence: 1792, 1793, and 1794.  That could allow for two switches (R and L) and a 30 degree curved crossover which would allow a much better tram layout.  Time will tell.  But the crossovers did come sooner than I expected.

Nice post Bill..

Like any newbie I got the Portrams from Kato (motored) and Tomix (not motored) because trams are a great way to enter this hobby (space considerations) and because I love trams!

I first saw Japanese trains more than 20 years ago but N scale seemed limited then, still they were very cool !!

Trams just mean less track and less space. If they made turnouts then a tram layout would be like a small train layout. Trams are also great for a shelf layout or to add to a large train layout.

What is amazing is that the Japanese N scale trams are so much better than the HO counterparts!!  And a lot better than the N.A. N scale trams that have been kicking around for years...

I'm still holding out for turnouts and cross-overs because loops are boring... although I have been looking at Peco track (for the variety of track and availability) and thinking about using cardboard or plaster... It would be a shame to do so and then have a major release of tram track.  

Rich Kerr has done some amazing things with Tomix track, but I just don't like the wide spacing of this product..  

The loop layout using Kato track and the train station is appealing but still its just a loop!

Finally, I love the price of Japanese product and that one can get non-motorized trams for static display.. A small tram yard and tram barn are still a great focal point and in N scale hardly takes any space!!

My (future) layout will have trams as the core but I may use viaducts etc to suggest a larger layout, as though for high speed trains...

A lot of layouts, such a many British ones, are just linear yards that exploit elevation to make them interesting. But all have turnouts even if the track disappears into tunnels that do not go anywhere... A linear layout is great for trams but even a non-working turnout would look cool....

Cheers

Rick

You might enjoy this Rick. It's Milan on Routes 2 and 14.

And here's a project for Jeff.

• Like 1

My first tram was a Kato lit Portram, bought earlier this month at a local train show, the dealer in question specialized in n scale, mostly US-type models, but had a couple Kato Pocket Trains and the Portram.  I was looking into Portram and maybe Unitram for months, finding a Portram model in person and seeing it run was what sold me.  Looking for info on Japanese trams is what led me to this site.

I was seriously considering the Unitram system, but was put off by the cost and how inflexible it appears to be.  Then there's the matter of populating the layout with buildings and accessories, which gets to be expensive if you buy off-the-shelf items, which really doesn't seem like a hobby to me, plus I like to modifying things and even scratch building if I need to.

I had experimented with laying Atlas flex track and pouring plaster around it and between the rails to simulate in-pavement track, but keeping the rails clean during pour and afterwards was a hornet's nest of problems for various reasons.  I know how to do it better, but I don't think that process is worth it.

I might buy a few pieces of the Tomix track and might modify it.  I need to find a prototype as a guide, but I'm not finding as much information as I'd like.  I'm looking to at least scratch build several buildings but having a hard time finding information, such as plans good enough for model building, failing that, good quality building photos to work with.  That is probably the subject of a new thread if I can't find an existing one.

JeffDM - Welcome to the forum.

Making a tram layout with flex track code 80 and lite spackle isn't that hard. It does take time but it's not that expensive. Here is a link to the tram extension I did for my layout:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1987.0.html

If you plan to start a tram layout, I agree it would be a good idea to start a new thread in "Personal Projects" and gather all the information that you need for your layout.

Good luck and have fun!

I might buy a few pieces of the Tomix track and might modify it.  I need to find a prototype as a guide, but I'm not finding as much information as I'd like.  I'm looking to at least scratch build several buildings but having a hard time finding information, such as plans good enough for model building, failing that, good quality building photos to work with.  That is probably the subject of a new thread if I can't find an existing one.

Welcome to the forum Jeff.

I learned a lot about building structures from this article. It deals with laying out the plan on styrene and making door and window cuts.

http://www.building-your-model-railroad.com/model-buildings.html

What era or kind of buildings are you looking to build?

As for information on Japanese trams, I have a primarily video blog of Japanese tram lines. The link is in my signature. 

JeffDM - Welcome to the forum.

Making a tram layout with flex track code 80 and lite spackle isn't that hard. It does take time but it's not that expensive. Here is a link to the tram extension I did for my layout:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1987.0.html

That looks nice.   The problem I had was cleanup, I ended up getting some on the rails, and I think I might have removed the plating trying to clean up off the plaster, making corrosion a bit more of a problem.  It wasn't so much difficult work, but frustrating, tedious and time consuming.

Welcome to the forum Jeff.

I learned a lot about building structures from this article. It deals with laying out the plan on styrene and making door and window cuts.

http://www.building-your-model-railroad.com/model-buildings.html

What era or kind of buildings are you looking to build?

As for information on Japanese trams, I have a primarily video blog of Japanese tram lines. The link is in my signature.  

Thanks for the link.  I don't understand the technique for sectioning the walls, doesn't that make it pretty weak?  I was thinking of using my engraving laser to cut walls and many other pieces.

I'd like to do a contemporary scene, but particularly want a few mid-sized skyscrapers in the mix, the ones shown in Bernard's link look interesting.  It would be nice if I can model a real city block, with allowances for selective compression, maybe model the block corners and drop buildings in the midsections to make it fit in a reasonable space.  That's contingent on finding good photos.

I'll check your sites.

I'd like to do a contemporary scene, but particularly want a few mid-sized skyscrapers in the mix, the ones shown in Bernard's link look interesting.  It would be nice if I can model a real city block, with allowances for selective compression, maybe model the block corners and drop buildings in the midsections to make it fit in a reasonable space.  That's contingent on finding good photos.

A couple of suggestions.  Try searching images in Google.  For most places I would search by street name or area name.  Japanese cities however do not have street names for the most part. What you can search by are district names like Akihabara, Skinjuku, or Shibuya in Tokyo. 

For better results translate simple terms like skyscraper into Japanese with a machine translator like Google Translate or Bing. Translating these into Japanese expands the pool of photos beyond the visitor/tourist photos generally found in English searches.

You can also try using Google Streets (accessible through Google Maps) to see street level details.

Thanks for the link.  I don't understand the technique for sectioning the walls, doesn't that make it pretty weak?  I was thinking of using my engraving laser to cut walls and many other pieces.

jeff,

oooh cool an engraving laser! this might do the trick to cut thin styrene or thin chipboard, depending on the power and is a great way to make walls like this easily! I have a friend with a larger cutting laser that i have wanted to play with this, but unfortunately he 2500 miles away! the laser cutter is perfect for cutting out windows and doorways that is a pain to do other ways. perhaps if you can cut the thin materials you can sandwich thin acrylic behind for the windows and as a stiffener.

check the scenery section out there are some threads with photo reference links, high rise buildings, and paper structures. greenmax kits led themselves to a lot of kitbashing as they are unfinished walls than can be cut up in various ways and require painting detailing by hand.

cheers

jeff

I started the whole Japanese model train thing with the Unitram starter set, so the red Kato Portram was my first tram purchase. And after it I bought a blue one, a non-working green one (and get a working one also...). Now I am thinking to buy Centram version as well, but maybe I should try Tomix Portrams also.

Guest Closed Account 1

I bought my firstTram, a Red Kato Portram for a single auto-reversing Christmas Trolley track.

Also have the Kato Portram in Blue, and Green.

Kato Centrams in White, Silver, and Black (the Black Pearl).

All the new Kato Trams are on reserve (Yellow, Purple, and Green with a Recycling paint job)

My first tram was also a Modemo series 300, the green NT80... I stumbled across these via the East Penn website (http://www.eastpenn.org/eptclightrail.html) when I was looking for something in N-scale similar to London's Dockland Light Railway.

This tram is still one of my favourites, these models have excellent power pickup and traction. My first layout had two levels, with a ramp down to the 'underground' level with a 10 % grade - the 300 series trams would power up it like it wasn't there! Had to dismantle the layout in the end, must get round to posting up the photos...

post-498-13569927023912_thumb.jpg

• Like 1