Odakyu 50000 VSE decoder install

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

I had some function decoders left from a batch I bought a while ago. 2 of them I installed in the 2 end cars of Kato's Orient Express base car set (1 was really straight forward, the other one I had to replace the light bulb with a 3mm LED. Still straight forward, just slacked off getting the LEDs =)) The 2 I had left after that I wanted to put in an EMU. Initially I was looking at either the 100 or 200 series shinkansen (both MicroAce), but their light boards use a dual color LED, which means I'd probably be better of with a bi-polar decoder. After a while I figured I'd go for the 50000 VSE, partially because I'd already done a motor car install, and because the train is just really nice =)

Image 01:

Overview of the parts of the cab car. It's real easy to take apart actually, everything is just clicked on, so a little bending here and there and it pops right open =)

Image 02:

The light board after some adjusting. I flipped the top LED (it's a red one for the tail lights) to make sure the LEDs get a common anode (right side of the board in this case.) I also replaced the existing resistor with a heavier one.

Image 03:

The light board wired. Yellow is the rear light, white the front light, red and black are power pickup, and blue (difficult to see, it's hooked up to the resistor, in between the white and red wires) is common anode.

Image 04:

Decoder installed in the bottom part of the cab car. It's completely hidden from view this way. Of course, this wouldn't have been possible with most decoders, because function decoders tend to be quite a bit bigger. The disadvantage is that I need to take the entire thing apart again when I install interior light ;)

Image 05:

Overview of the motor car. Again, real easy to take apart, and there's surprisingly little parts to the whole thing. Nice thing is that you don't need to take everything apart in order to get the motor out.

Image 06:

Since the VSE 5000 has quite large windows, I needed a place to hide the decoder. Usually I don't mind much when a decoder is visible, but once the train gets interior lights, the decoder would be a bit too visible. So, I decided to put the decoder in a small pocket behind the socket for the interior light strip.

Image 07:

As there wasn't enough space however, I had to cut out the wall section :)

tomix_odakyu50000-01.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-02.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-03.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-04.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-05.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-06.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-07.jpg

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Image 08:

The motor leads were soldered on, and the wires routed alongside the frame with the help of a little blue-tac, except my version is grey =)

Image 09:

Red and black soldered to the original power pickup strips. I cut some plastic away to be able to route the wires up through the interior light socket. Also notice the extra hole I drilled (top copper strip), this will be used for the motor wires.

Image 10:

The motor wires coming up through the floor, and through the interior light socket towards the decoder pocket.

Image 11:

All 4 wires brought together. Again using the interior light socket to keep the wires in place.

Image 12:

The VSE50000 comes with 2 bits of additional weight. 1 bit can't be used if you use interior light, the other bit required a bit of adjusting. I had to cut off a little piece because that's where the decoder lives these days. Once I install interior light, I'll likely also paint the weight flat grey.

Image 13:

Everything in place. I left the blue and white wires attached to the decoder, these will be used for the interior light eventually.

Image 14:

Close-up of the installed decoder.

tomix_odakyu50000-08.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-09.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-10.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-11.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-12.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-13.jpg

tomix_odakyu50000-14.jpg

Marti - This was one train I was always interested in seeing a decoder install. As always, your work is very neat. I see that you take the wires off the decoder and solder them back on as you last step....is it hard to do since to me, it seems like you need a very fine soldering tip (or iron)?

Martijn Meerts

Marti - This was one train I was always interested in seeing a decoder install. As always, your work is very neat. I see that you take the wires off the decoder and solder them back on as you last step....is it hard to do since to me, it seems like you need a very fine soldering tip (or iron)?

It takes a little practice (and preferably a small tip), but I find it's much easier to install decoders that way, especially shortening the wires is easier. Especially in something like the 50000 VSE, where you need to get wires from the motor and power pickups, through the interior to the decoder it helps, because you can route the wires exactly the way you want before clipping the seats back on.

Marti - can you show a photo of the type of soldering iron you use for this type of work? (or should we just post it in a Tools section?)