I'm planning to convert my roster from DC to DCC. It currently consists of:

Kato Series 885 White Sonic

Kato Series 281 Haruka

Kato Series E351 Super Azusa

Kato DE10 (Cold Region)

Kato EH200 Blue Thunder

Micro Ace Series 383 Limited Express Shinano

Greenmax Economy Kits (KD Type 5512)

I guess, decoder installation into the first three mentioned trains shouldn't be a problem, but how about the rest?

Martijn Meerts

None of them should be a major issue, depending on how comfortable you are with a soldering iron ;)

The DE10 might be problematic with regards to space to hide the decoder.

CaptOblivious

The EH200 should most likely take a Digitrax DN163K0a or TCS K0D8.

The DE10 has a lightboard similar to as in other Kato locos, but the usual Digitrax or TCS drop-in decoders won't fit. There's another thread here where someone purchased a special-made drop-in decoder from NGDCC. The cost isn't much more than you'd pay for one here, and it's specifically designed to fit the DE10.

The Micro Ace and Greenmax models will require plan wire-in decoders. Watch the lighting circuit on the Micro Ace: I've found that most cannot be easily dismantled in the way a wire-in decoder requires. Instead, I've been using TCS motor decoders for my Micro Ace cab cars, using the motor leads to control the lighting. See here:

http://akihabara.artificial-science.org/2010/06/14/micro-ace-ae100%E5%BD%A2-skyliner-dcc-install-pt-1-cab-car/

The DE10 has a lightboard similar to as in other Kato locos, but the usual Digitrax or TCS drop-in decoders won't fit. There's another thread here where someone purchased a special-made drop-in decoder from NGDCC. The cost isn't much more than you'd pay for one here, and it's specifically designed to fit the DE10.

That would be me. The decoder is a good fit, you have to have a little soldering experience though as you need to solder on surface mount LEDs if you want headlights.