the case against stainless steel

miyakoji

Solid color schemes seem to be readily accepted in Japan.  A couple of examples: Meitetsu = red, Seibu = yellow. In both cases this is not as true as it once was. I've really never seen that in North America.

One of the reasons given when JNR  & JR East switched from the painted steel 103 & 201 to the later stainless steel 2xx trains was that not having to periodically repaint the whole train (to prevent rust) was a significant cost savings, despite the higher initial cost of the stainless steel construction.

Personally, I find a solid single color rather boring. Two colors are more interesting that steel with a stripe, but for me even "steel with a stripe" beats the old solid-color JNR trains.

I've really never seen that in North America.

What type of paint schemes are you comparing against? North America isn't dominated by EMUs, so the context of paint schemes is different. It's hard to think of a locomotive scheme that looks quite as plain as the Japanese single-color trains, but I think that's because North American schemes tend to have a large name or logo. Many schemes qualify as "one-color" (Conrail, PC, modern IC, EJ&E...) but I don't get the same impression from them as these Japanese liveries. Not that I have anything against either...

Also remember that most if not all modern rolling stock is made out of stainless steel, regardless if it is painted or not...

In the US the CSS&SB (South Shore Line) MU cars are stainless steel with painted/vinyled bands.

Cheers NB

Mudkip Orange

Also remember that most if not all modern rolling stock is made out of stainless steel, regardless if it is painted or not...

Well yeah, because the frickin' technique for stainless steel (shot welding) was invented right here. In Philly.

This Budd's for you!

Well yeah, because the frickin' technique for stainless steel (shot welding) was invented right here. In Philly.

This Budd's for you!

Yep, at the Red Lion Plant, which is now a golf course...Tokyu Rail Car got the license for the ss shot welding techinique.  You can easily see the Budd influence today on rolling stock- such as the Tokyu 8500 series used on the Den-en Toshi Line, as well as some of the Nankai stainless steel rolling stock- corrugations and all.