Parents and children rail fanning

Taken at Shinjuku station. The Super Azusa and the Azusa and Kaiji trains attract a steady stream of rail fans, with the Super Azusa, with its old style Bubble head often having a steady stream of fans.

DSC_0685.jpg

My favorite and elicits thoughts about the lengths that parents would go for their children.

DSC_0687-1.jpg

Some kids like to ham it up while others are jaded and don't want to smile or pose any more. I noticed this father earlier lifting the baby carriage so his daughter could press the button on a soda machine. I later thought that it was somehow a male thing, or something that someone who is accustomed to using physical strength or choosing the simple solution would do. I also thought that lifting the carriage was another way to express his love.

DSC_0098.jpg

I've also seen mothers and grandparents with kids, many snapping away with quite nice cameras.

I sometimes think that shooting pictures like these might be interpreted by others as a bit intrusive. But I think that it adds to the hobby and mean no harm.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 4

Grant - Well said! I always feel the greatest gift you can give another person no matter at what age, is your time.

You create memories that will last a lifetime for both of you.

My favorite photos are ones that are candid and capture the subject unaware that they are being photographed.

Keep taking photos you'll never know when you'll capture a gem!

alpineaustralia

Reminds me of me and my little mate (my son) last year and earlier this year.

He still tells me that it was the best time he's ever had.

Nothing like a shinkansen and a dad to talk to about it.

I think the attraction to the golf balls is that not only do they differ in appearance, but they also seem larger than the usual commuters, and they are less common.

The young age of railfans in Japan constantly amazes me.

Someone mentioned 'mamatetsu' in another thread. I thought she was just with her young son until I saw him holding a camera. Not here, but earlier. That would have been great shot, if I had the sense to snap it. I was on the same platform with them and much closer. You could see the camera better.

DSC_0592-2.jpg

I also took one recently of a young boy who looked just a few years older with a digital SLR with a nice telephoto lens. He was alone, so he must just be small for his age.

Taken tonight. Their mothers were standing nearby.

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

Sometimes they pop out of nowhere. I had a feeling that this OOS would be something interesting and it turned out to be the Kusatsu/Yamadori stopping briefly on its way back north. It stops for a few minutes on this track earlier after arriving from Naganoharakusatsuguchi, then goes south and later returns as seen here. No sooner had this train arrived when I heard some excited voices saying "What was this?" I don't know if it was the same kids but there were two along with their mother. It was 7:42 at night, but it's also Saturday during summer holiday.

DSC_0312.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant.

It's a 485 repainted earlier this year. It was shown on a tread from about Feb., but I couldn't track it down. In the Summer it runs on weekends from Shinjuku to Naganoharakusatsuguchi Station and back and on Mondays and Fridays as the Resort Kusatsu, it runs from Takasaki to Manza-Kazawaguchi Station and back as the Resort Yamadori. It replaces the specially marked 185 repainted last year in the old green and orange livery.

I rode this train to Naganoharakusatsuguchi two weeks ago and it was a sweet ride. Got to sit on seat 1A with a great view on the run up save when the driver pulled his shades down in Tokyo and later up in the mountains. 1C didn't have this problem.

Best wishes,

Grany