E3 Akita Shinkansen `Komachi`Decoder Install

Bernard

I have an E3 and a 400!!!  I'll make sure I've got a few custom installs done before attempting it though.  It looks like a real brain teaser.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

If nothing else, you can always send it to someone who's willing to do it for you. I know at least the Captain does some decoder installs, and I wouldn't mind either. Problem is shipping the thing to and from down under is probably going to end up being more expensive than the train itself ;)

I've probably done about 30-35 installs so far (most weren't my own trains ....) and it's getting easier every time. You really start to get an idea of where to place the decoder and how to run the wires without thinking too much. There are of course still some mystery trains.. I have an older MicroAce 9600 series and I have no clue how to open it up, let alone install a decoder =)

• Like 2

Yeah Marti - It seems like Tomix cut back on some of the materials they use to keep their prices competitive but this new chassis has gone too far. There are too many parts that can easily break that hold the two halves of the chassis in place....I just can't figure out why they did this...not making one sold piece. Installing the decoder wasn't that hard but putting the train back together.....that's another story.

I recently installed a decoder into 2 Tomix 400 series, both had the weird frame set up of this E3.. I didn't have to hook up the lights to the decoder, so it ended up being easy enough, but the frame design is definitely a weird one...

I have a Tomix 400 myself as well, so I'll end up doing the directional lighting sooner or later..

I expect it'll be later ;)

Martijn Meerts

I think they did it to make sure the motor wasn't visible inside the train. My 400 series is an old model, and the motor is fairly big. Making the frame 1 piece probably wouldn't have worked for the size of the motor used.

That makes me wonder though, are there more Tomix trains from around the same time that have a similar frame design. So far, it seems to be only the E3 and 400.

I do think, for the 400 series at least, that it's very sturdy, the plastic bits used to keep everything in place is fairly thick, and there's a lot of tabs so even if one breaks, it'll still be sturdy.

In the end though, it's still a weird design :)

Bernard, nicely done. Petty I didn't see thish before starting on my 400.

Martijn, I have just finished the later design 400. Very similar cct board but a one piece chassis. Still a major PITA.

Bernard, nicely done. Petty I didn't see thish before starting on my 400.

Martijn, I have just finished the later design 400. Very similar cct board but a one piece chassis. Still a major PITA.

Hey MrPig - How are you? Did you mill out the chassis on your 400? Before I undertook the E3 install I asked a lot of questions of the members here for advice. I took it apart a few times just to make sure of which circuits I had to bypass.....I was tempted to get the 400 but after Marti's description of it......I'll pass.

Martijn Meerts

Bernard, just buy one, send it over to me, and I'll install a decoder for you. It'll only cost you lunch at that barbecue place we went too when I was in New York ;)

Bernard - I'm good. Didn't do any chassis milling on the 400, just the underside of the seats.

The shed is mostly finished, so the lounge room loop has moved and is off the floor. Had a big distraction for quite some time (UAV), so no layout yet. Details in the coming days