Tomix 0 Series Decoder Install

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Hi, does any one have a link or site where I can get info on how to install a DZ 125 decoder in the Tomix Shinkansen 0 series.  Attached are pics of the motor car.

Cheers

Spiff

post-425-13569926469155_thumb.jpg

post-425-13569926497763_thumb.jpg

Spiff,

Here is the basics of what you have to contend with.

[smg id=1056]

The way the decoder works, it takes the DCC power signal from the track and converts it a controllable DC.

What you want to do is isolate point 4 from point 3. That way you can connect the orange and gray wire to point 4 and the red and black wire to point 3.

I'm not sure how intrusive you want to go. I like to install in a manner that I can go back to DC if need be.

Here is how I would do the install. (this is based on what I see from the photo which is limited.)

Isolate the motor by

[smg id=1057]

Next use this trick the little brass flat springs comes in handy.

[smg id=1040]

You can use these brass clips and fold them around the edge of your base bringing the connection topside.

[smg id=1058]

This is how I would do it but there are other ways. You could drill or just solder the wire onto the motor point it all depends on what you want.

One thing I cannot stress enough is to isolate the DC motor leads and make sure you don't have any shorts.

Make sure that your soldering is only a few seconds you dont want to over heat the decoders components.

Good luck!!

Inobu.

• Like 2
Spaceman Spiff

Thanks so much Inobu for your help!

This will be my first decoder install that isn't a drop in. As I understand it I need to solder the appropriate wires - red and black from the decoder to the track power leads on the car (last pic where you have it indicated). Then I need to solder the appropriate leads from the decoder to springs which provide the decoder signal to the motors. I also use the kapton tape to isolate the springs from the copper strips to prevent shorting. so far everything makes sense. On the the 3rd picture (the one you added) you mention brass clips. I don't have these clips and was wondering where would I get them. I imagine the purpose of the brass pieces is to make it easier to solder the decoder leads to the motor. Is this correct?

Once again thanks for you invaluable help!

Spiff

Yes, that's the idea

Those brass strips are actually Kato flat springs used for couplers.

[smg id=1042]

You can get them from Kato USA.

I happened to have them laying around and it dawns on me to use then.

Now if you don't have them (chances are you don't) you can try to hack an old car.

Try this first.

Take a piece of wire. Try to solder a small ball the size of the spring. You want the ball to be a little smaller than the spring so it can fit inside of it but make good contact. You want it to look like a Hersey Kiss. Flat on one side to make contact with the brass strip and pointed so it makes contact into the spring and will lock into place.

[smg id=1059]

[smg id=1060]

Then you can emulate the brass L technique.

You are doing the right thing. Think it out first, over and over then go for it once you have it down.

Inobu