Tokyo Metro 16000 series new tech

bikkuri bahn

Quashlo's post on the 16000 series over on the SSC forum spurred me to find out more about these types.  Repeating my post there, they are among the first examples of rolling stock using Toshiba-developed permanent magnet synchronous motors (PMSM), and the first newly built (as opposed to retrofitted) with PMSM connected to conventional cardan drives.  This enlightening Toshiba video is worth a look for you gearheads out there:

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/sic/english/rw/innotrans2010/popup_main03.htm

The slew of 16000 series videos on youtube are notable for their mediocrity, probably the by-product of the growing juvenile railfan population, but here is an OK one, with a tad too much overlay text.  Test running at Kurihara Station, Odakyu Tama Line:

• Like 1

Well... I like it a lot. The design is quite sleek and modern. The motors seem to have a quite a distinctive sound and the acceleration is neat.

Yes, I'm not generally a fan of the newer rolling stock in the Kanto area, but I like these too.  Kawasaki Heavy Industries products tend to be good looking, probably coz it's a Kansai based builder :cool:

Interesting post bikkuri, thanks.  btw, what is the SSC forum?

The slew of 16000 series videos on youtube are notable for their mediocrity, probably the by-product of the growing juvenile railfan population

ouchie!

Yes, I'm not generally a fan of the newer rolling stock in the Kanto area, but I like these too.  Kawasaki Heavy Industries products tend to be good looking, probably coz it's a Kansai based builder :cool:

YES

Interesting post bikkuri, thanks.  btw, what is the SSC forum?

It's this

*lots of pointless pissing contests and narcissism in some sections, but fellow JNSer quashlo's posts are some of the best on the 'net.