on the roof of JNR AC/DC EMUs

miyakoji

In this video, you can see three things on the roof above the driver's compartment on this 415 series very clearly when it comes to a stop at 0:23.  The smallest protrusion is a flare, the front-most is an antenna as far as I know, but the tallest of the three, I have no idea.  What is that?  It appears to have a ceramic insulator where it goes into the roof, and it seems only to be on some JNR-era AC/DC EMUs.  413, 415, 417 series have it, 717s don't.  I can't find it on any DC EMUs, nor AC-only EMUs which seem to be not that numerous, nor any locos (EF81s, which are AC/DC, do not seem to have it).  With that insulator, it's got to be electrical, but I can't imagine what it does.  Attract lighting?

• Like 1

That is an electroscope antenna (kenden antenna or 検電アンテナ, in Japanese).  It detects AC current in an interchange section between AC and DC current.

Thanks Bikkuri.  I've seen some driver's station videos where the motorman is shown, at the break in electrical systems, putting the speed lever to 0 and then manually switching from one current type to the other.  Did these do that automatically?