EMU pulled by steam in regular service?

bikkuri bahn

Yes, it occurred for a couple of years on the JNR Naganohara Line (current Agatsuma Line).  Back in 1960, the rinji (weekends/holidays) semi-express Kusatsu was instituted, on the Ueno-Naganohara route.  A four car 80 series emu (in shonan livery) was used, but as the Naganohara Line was not electrified, the train was pulled by a C11 or C58, with a ohayuni 71 combine serving as a battery car for lighting and opening doors.  The next year, the 80 series was replaced by the 153 series, and Kusatsu became a daily semi-express service.  In June of 1962, the service started using DMUs, so the steam locomotives were no longer necessary.

I tried finding pictures of this train during this period on the net, with no luck.  However, there are a couple in the book Tetsudo Seishun Jidai- Joetsu Sen, by Kubo and Koyama.  The first is of a C11 train, taken in June 1960, between Shibukawa and Kanashima.  The second is of a C58 pulling a 153 series set, at Kanashima in July, 1961.  Scans are below.

post-167-13569926412334_thumb.jpg

post-167-13569926440289_thumb.jpg

Here's a more modern example of the practice between Kumamoto and Suizenji that I rode in 1994. I didn't know they did it in the steam era though.