Meiji Mura Baldwin 0-6-0T No.9

marknewton

I was looking at some photos and video of this lovely little engine when it occured to me that I don't know anything about it. My limited knowledge of written Japanese, and the rather eccentric translations provided by Google haven't really helped much. I know it was once the sole member of JNR class 1240, and that it was sold into industrial service, but that's about all. Any more information would be great! 

TIA,

Mark.

According to the Japanese wikipedia, the example in Meiji Mura is not the single example of the JNR 1240 class, but a nearly identical type actually built 7 years earlier, for the Fujiminobu Railway (the JNR loco was originally built for the Shingu Railway on the Ise Peninsula, which was nationalized in 1934 and had drivers 1 inch larger in diameter).  The Meiji Mura loco was one in a class of three. With the appearance of 2-6-2 types in 1918 with more power, this class became surplus, and one loco (#1) was sold to Hokkaido Steel in Muroran, where it spent the rest of its working life.  The other two, #2 and #3, through a broker, were sold to Tsurumi Seitetsu Zosen (a shipbuilder) in Yokohama.  #2 was renumbered as #10, and #3 became the current #9.  #9 was acquired by Meiji Mura in 1974.

(Note 1) apparently the 762mm locos #2~4 of the Kosaka Rlwy in Akita are also identical, excepting the different gauge.

(Note 2) JNR 1240 was retired in 1936

BB, you're a legend!  :grin (And I really need to work on my language skills!)

Seriously though, thanks very much for the quick answer. I wonder whether the engine has always carried hook drawgear and buffers, or did it get converted to knuckles at some stage and then been backdated at Meiji Mura?

All the best,

Mark.

I wonder whether the engine has always carried hook drawgear and buffers, or did it get converted to knuckles at some stage and then been backdated at Meiji Mura?

Good question, would need photographic evidence to confirm, if it exists.  Likely it was converted to knuckle couplers as it likely handled interchange traffic off JNR rails, then converted back to haul Meiji Mura stock, as you say.

BB, it certainly would be interesting to see some photos of the engine while it was at Yokohama. But the thought now occurs to me that it could still handle interchange traffic with hook drawgear. Some of the Alco 0-6-0Ts of the Kaijima Tanko in Kyushu had hooks/buffers, they were semi-permanently coupled to what in Australia we call a "match truck". It was a four-wheel flat wagon with hook drawgear at one end, and a knuckle at the other. It also had steps and railings around the deck so the shunters/switchmen could ride on the wagon safely. It's possible that the shipyard handled their interchange traffic in the same way.

All the best,

Mark.

EDIT: Found this website, looks like No.9 had knuckles at the shipyard!

http://www5.plala.or.jp/stmlo9600/sl/sl188.html

Cheers,

Mark.